Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Buying Tying Supplies Abroad

I've never figured out how to do it. The dollar/ whatever exchange rates pose one obstacle. On line ordering is another -- hell, I can barely function on this site, so I prefer to order over the phone and then there are time/language complications not to mention PAY PALSKI credit card snafoos....

Tips from those of you who have pulled it off would be welcome. Some US distributors of many of the ;products I want seem to be less than businesslike and often have skimpy inventories and prices that seem out of line.

Rocco

I never have bought fly stuff over seas, the fish I catch never required a country of origin for materials used and seem to get hooked none the less.

I have bought piano recording and studio management programs that were only produced over seas. They both were online purchases with download of the software. I never spoke with a live person, it was all done by computer, very straight forward minus two things. I couldn't use Discover Card because it was not listed, so I used Master Card as I recall. And time delay for confirmation. That was it, other than that it was the same as any other purchase I make online. And of course the exchange rate was evident on my downloadable and printable invoice..

Rocco ... are you asking about buying stuff from outside the U.S. to be shipped in, or are you outside looking to buy from the U.S.?

I am pretty sure you're here, in the States, but maybe not?

I've bought several things online, from overseas sellers. Usually through E-bay, but also a few direct purchases. I've had no problems so far. Much easier, I'd think, than talking to someone on the phone who doesn't fluently speak the same language.

are you overseas buying from the USA or from the USA buying from overseas? secret decoder ring broken :)

its really no different from buying from USA online site. pretty darn easy

exchange rates are automatic and adjusted by your credit card company or paypal. not much you can do about it

or you can use sites in the USA that carry certain European fly tying products

tell us what youre looking for. we my be able to help

i'm here in the US. The items I want are usually hooks and tying materials not made here in the US. There are not a lot niche needs that need scratching but knowing a solution is there just beyond our waters and unreachable.is aggravating. I guess I shouldn't watch those foreign tyer vids on Utube!

Roccoj

i'm here in the US. The items I want are usually hooks and tying materials not made here in the US. There are not a lot niche needs that need scratching but knowing a solution is there just beyond our waters and unreachable.is aggravating. I guess I shouldn't watch those foreign tyer vids on Utube!

Roccoj

They're fun to watch , so far I put my lust in check personally .

There is no reason why an overseas vendor is any more or less reliable than a domestic one per se. There are going to be good ones and bad ones, just like here. If you insist on having to use a telephone for the orders, however, then you better focus on English-speaking suppliers such as those in the UK. You really need to get past the 'need-to-call' however if you want to use far flung suppliers. If you cannot, then focus on domestic suppliers instead. Most can order one way or another from international suppliers and while you may pay a bit of a markup, they take the risk, and you still get to talk to someone. I too prefer to talk to my vendors, but only when practical.

I completely understand how important it is to support local shops. I really do. But I'll never buy 3D molded lure/fly eyes from a US shop again unless they can get their prices in the ZIP code of what I can get from China via eBay. It's an item I use on probably 75-80% of my flies for warm water fish, and the eBay prices are stupid cheap. It's something I use a lot, and it's probably the first thing to get destroyed/lost on a fly, so I can't justify buying overpriced "cool" looking eyes when I get basic eye colors in all sizes in bulk cheaper. I think the Flymen and Deer Creek eyes are cool looking, but I can get hundreds (if not multiple hundreds) of basic colored eyes for the price of a pack of 16-20 fancy eyes.

My line of thinking here is the same as TheCream. However, only thing I've ever bought direct from overseas was some synthetic hair from China. I've done that a few times. Via Ebay & Paypal, there was no concern for me over exchange rate. What I bought was already priced in US dollars so I knew what I was paying. It is what it is at the time you make the purchase otherwise, but frankly the cost was so much less than buying here it didn't matter to me there was still a significant savings. Only had one issue, they took too long to ship & that got resolved quickly & to my satisfaction.

My main concern was that the postal services & customs folks didn't lose my package. sad.png

Great Feathers in Maryland brings in specialty items from Europe. http://greatfeathers.com/specialty-materials-supplies.aspx

Here are a few of UK companies that I have used over the past few years without issue. All are family / single owner shops.

http://www.theessentialfly.com/fly-tying.html

http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/

https://www.flytyingboutique.com/

http://www.funkyflytying.co.uk/

Great Feathers is not far from where my oldest son lives in MD. I was in that shop last Christmas when we went back to visit. They have a very good selection for such a small shop. I picked up a few things & also talked with the shop owner for about an hour. Real good guy & seemed quite knowledgeable! smile.png

I use E-Bay for a lot of stuff. I buy U.S. and over sea's. E bay will show you the dollar exchange and total price. My advice to you would be learn how to do e- mail, Have a credit card linked to E bay. And you set. You can bid, buy or make an offer.