Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlatsRoamer

How To Tie the Crazy Charlie YouTube Video

Yes, it's a saltwater pattern, a Bonefish pattern, but doesn't mean it can't be used in freshwater for other species as Kentuckysteve has said. That style makes a darn good crayfish pattern for stream bass too. There is a "sili legs" version that makes a good crayfish imitation. From that basic style, the possibilities are many.

Flats, the typical Charlie has a covering on the body. Vinyl ribbing material, mono, or epoxy. I've tied them with the diamond braid as you've done, but cover it with an over wrap or epoxy to add more durability. Heck, even a few coats of Sally Hansens over the braid works fine.

I agree, nice video & shows the tying progression very well.

My comment has nothing to do with pleasing me. Just stating what is typical with the pattern, and why. You can certainly tie them as you please, but you did ask to let you know about improvements. IMO a more durable body construction is an improvement.

I might view it if it was a fly I cared about, like at all. But it isn't.

Also, I don't think anyone is ragging on you, in fact they have all been pretty nice to you. Don't start whining.

holy crap stop asking for comments if you can't accept them. I have to question why you are pumping out videos before learning to fly fish and tie flies. I also have to question why you fight back when those who have many many many more years experience in fly fishing and fly tying (not I, I'm still learning) offer you feedback that you requested. Seems backwards to me and your number of views seems to support this thought. I'm not being harsh but I think your order of things is way out of wack and until you get the order right you will always have a low view count. I'm out.

I believe Flats is trying to be funny with his replies, people. He's not said anything that can be considered "whining".

"Seems to me I can never please some of you" was obviously a jab at everyone who panned his last video because it wasn't an exact copy of "Gartside's Gurgler" (sic) and he didn't call it a "variant".

So, he called this one a variant and people STILL complain because it's not some exact copy of some exact pattern.

I think he's justified in being sarcastic on that note.

"Something you would know Adam"

Hey, it's Adam. His snarky comment deserved a snarky reply. Again, just an attempt at humor (one I might have typed myself)

Flats, as I've said before ... I don't always agree with you (punk kid that you are) ... but you're doing just fine.

Thank you Mike, but I guess if its it's a "stupid kid" making comments, then it doesn't really matter because apparently they know every single pattern to the last dot, they make perfect YouTube videos(which take a long time), and they have tied every single pattern the exact way, and if they say they have, well then there liars. I'm done with this thread, thanks again guys

Obviously irritated, which is what I thought all along, I never bought the joking around bit.. So Flats? Videos do take a long time to produce and take work but half of presentation and just getting into that stuff is PR related. You got to be able to roll with it when it's not going as you intended.