Fly Tying
Piker20

Dressing and Skinning knife.

Looking for what folk like in their skinning knife. Do you carry different ones for rabbit or deer or does a 4inch do for all? I'm looking at a nessmuk style at the minute but keen to hear peoples thoughts.

Also any one have any options other than the folding surgical blade knives for dressing?

MSG8816 Mossberg Skinning Knife Set

http://www.discountcutlery.net/MSG8816-Mossberg-Skinning-Knife-Set_p_37800.html

I haven't done any skinning for quite some time. When I did, I preferred more than one knife.

The set above is a good example of fine point, gut hook and flensing blades.

I have a swingblade i use on deer.It has a skinning and a gutting blade.Used it for a few yrs now and never had to sharpen it yet.The gutting blade is sweet.I also have a small kershaw fixed blade skinner for small game but really the swingblade would do the trick..The kershaw blade is just under 3".I have never used a neesmuk blade.Had to look it up to see what it was.I had a buck knife sorta like a neesmuk yrs back and it worked great.For dressing in the field i use my old folding buck knife or i have used an old rapala fillet knife.

I have not ever had the need for a skinning knife in regards to small game- rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc. The skin just pulls off if you know your business. There are a few good videos on youtube (or there used to be, the overly sensitive loudmouthed protectionists may have had them blocked) showing various methods of skinning small game effectively. For deer I always just used my normal field-dressing knife, a 4" folder which I keep nearly razor sharp, with a drop-point blade, although probably a trailing-point blade would be "better" for skinning- but in the few times I wanted or anticipated skinning a deer in the field I didn't want to carry two separate knives. I haven't hunted for or killed a deer in quite a few years, but having one very sharp, quality knife, and being careful with its use is what is important.

I went for years using the venerable Buck 110 Folding Hunter. It was, and still is a great knife and the only reason I put it on the shelf was because it is a bit heavy. I have since gone to a lighter version of the Buck with a model Bantam BHW which is about half the weight of the 110. With either knife you can easily split the pelvic bone of a deer, but the synthetic handle model is a little lighter in the hand when skinning.

This knife from Bark River would be my choice. At least one of this blade shape and size.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives-little-caper/

To me, the neesmuk design would be appropriate if you plan on doing some chopping, but would be awkward at times when skinning/butchering.

Here is a folder I recently made from an existing frame. The walnut scales are from a tree I cut down 50 years ago. The blade was hand filed from a bar of A-2 tool steel and heat treated to 58 Rc. 98% of the work was done without electricity. I better not lose it.

post-37228-0-42300200-1477487476_thumb.jpg

You guys who are skinning game using pocket knives are akin to people tying flies clamped in vise grips. It works, but there's better ways.

As I said before, it's been forever since I skinned anything. Ever since my first animal with a good curved blade, I hated using any knife with a point for removing the skin. A good pointed knife is great for slicing into the skin at joints, tails, anus, etc. But nothing feels quite like sliding a sharp, curved blade between hide and fat/flesh.

I agree with mike a curved blade is the go to for skinning. However, when it comes to rabbits there is a method were you just stand on there ears and pull there legs. I cant remember exact details, but I've done it before and it works great, very fast and very efficient.

I agree with mike a curved blade is the go to for skinning. However, when it comes to rabbits there is a method were you just stand on there ears and pull there legs. I cant remember exact details, but I've done it before and it works great, very fast and very efficient.

I saw my grandfather do this lots of times...I never could get it right.

He would take a pocket knife make a cut around the anus and neck. Then he would whip the rabbit between his legs while holding the front legs and head. That one motion COMPLETELY gutted the rabbit.

He would then make slits up the legs and around the mid joints. One cut up the belly and start pulling. He would have an inside out skin with-in about 2-3 minutes.

We would carry tin-snips to cut off the lower legs and bag it with some salt.

I tried and tried to learn how he did that. I never could get it right. But my Grandma sure did know how to roast them. They told me that was about the best thing they had during the depression years. I was lucky that my life didn't depend on that skill.

I forgot about that ... my Dad did something similar. He'd cut around the anus and then cut the head off. Then he'd hold on to the rear legs and sling the rabbit like swinging a baseball bat.

I don't remember him getting anything on himself, not even blood.

I tried it once, and ended with guts and blood all down my left side. I was too young to get the speed needed. Never did it again.

I have, and have used the knives similar to the ones kudu suggested, but only for caping, skinning the head, lips, claws and the like. I'm generally taking my time. These are essentially scalpels and very sharp. For general skinning I generally carry 2, a traditional skinner, and a traditional buck style, both with about 5 inch blades.

I've field dressed birds by standing on the wings and lifting from the thigh. Very easy way to have clean breast meat.

Will have to look at google for rabbits that way.