Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hatches Blog Post - Emerald Shanker – by Kevin Hospodar

Kevin,

Very nice pattern and the black/chartreuse combo has always been a killer on GL steelies and salmon for us so I believe it will work effectively in this pattern too. It should also hammer small mouth and lake run browns by the way. I am going to tie up some of these and try them at my first opportunity. Thanks.

I've been toying with emerald shiner frauds for some time too, But I've been looking for a more closely imitative look. My latest brain storm -- unrealized yet at the vice -- is based on a lightly weighted tube with synthetic hair in the following mix --a cream hair belly/ a thin. mint green hair mid stripe with a single large size gray/pearl flash down each side -- as in your design/all topped by mid-gray hair and peacock herl over. I don't use JC eyes anymore so the small stick-ons under a CG coating will have to do.

Rocco

thanks Rocco

Yeah, this has be great on GL (south Lake Erie) Steelhead.

I actually first tied these on 15mm wadding tons, but bumped up to a 25mm to give some more weight and bit larger profile.

That reverse under wing really keeps the fly open and allows for tons of movement... and there is just the right amount of flash moving between the shank and the wing.

the JC eyes are a personal preference, but they look great in the water