Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Do you name your flies??

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Dripster

Dripster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:18 AM

I have a question for you other tyers. Do you name your flies. I seem to always give my flies some quirky name like the woolybuggers for Shoe's swap I named them "Dripster's Widowbugger". I must be weird. dunno.gif I name some others like too and I was wondering if others do it to.
Happy name calling.
Dripster

#2 CapeBSalar

CapeBSalar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:36 AM

For sure!
Canadian Fly Tyer's

Damian's Flytyer.ca Profile

Damian's Classic Salmon Fly Website

Fly Tyer's Daily Blog

"Neither is there a right way nor a wrong way to tie a fly---sometimes just a better way."
J. Edson Leonard (Preface to his 1988 Edition of Flies, 1950, A.S. Barnes, NY)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreu

riversedgeflyfishing@ns.sympatico.ca

#3 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:01 AM

No, I don't unless you consider "No Name" and "No Name 2" names. Naming a fly after yourself is pretentious, but if other people happen to call your fly "Billy Bob's Wiggler" that would be an honor of sorts.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#4 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:15 AM

Not really. 'Black Wooly bugger with the rubber legs' suits me just fine. biggrin.gif

Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#5 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:21 AM

To me naming flies is fairly difficult since its hard to draw a line between established patterns and new ones.

So I usually cheeze out with either a stupid hybridization of names or just name the fly after the materials used to make the variant.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#6 FlygURL

FlygURL

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:35 AM

I'm like bamboo and Sean Juan - just a standard name for me. No so good with creativity with the names.

#7 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:56 AM

The hard part is finding a name that hasn't been used or making sure it's not already an established fly by another name. I only put a name on if it's totally different than anything I've seen. And why not wink.gif

Ken cool.gif
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>

#8 getholdofjoru

getholdofjoru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:58 AM

I'm not big on naming flies after myself. People will just change a material on a pattern and it becomes "Jims Caddis" etc. I agree, this is pretentious, the only flies in my opinion that really deserve to be named after their creator is the clouser minnow and lefty deciever. Most popular flies have cool names so when I make one up I try to think up of something creative but that also hints to what I am trying to imitate.
----JGR----

Check out my blog at www.thejgrdispatch.com

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." Jack London

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." Tracy Morgan

#9 Shaq

Shaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:17 PM

I'm just a bit insane with the fly names, usually come out in a trip with little sleep and long drives

a baked potato with melted butta: white muddler with yellow zonker on the back.

I call an elk hair caddis: "Don't ask" so when people ask me what I;m using I can say, "Don't ask"

laugh.gif
www.theanglersnet.com

#10 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:53 PM

My question, since the way I thought you meant the question and other people perceived it, do you mean using your name when creating a flyname, or do you just mean simply "giving a title" to the fly?

I never cared for actualy putting your name on the fly. Now, if your name is put on it by someone else, that's different. Personally, I don't find any problem putting a "name" to a fly that you've either created or changed to your liking. Just that if it's still fairly similar to the "original" pattern, keep that original patterns name on it. BUT, I NEVER name a fly unless it's held some value while fishing. Most of my patterns I create have been tested. There have been a few though I've named before testing. But those are more the exception then the rule.

#11 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:20 PM

Just the flys that all ready have a name, some flys I name for that river ,creek lake they work good on. TL Mike
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#12 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:25 PM

I do.

"Notta Bugger"

"All-or-Nothing"

I also have no problem naming a fly after myself. If i sat at the vise and made it, set out on the water and tested it, came back to the vise and made whatever changes necessary to make it a fish catching fly I will name it after myself with great joy!
I won't force anybody else to call it that, but if a man does the work he deserves the credit unless he shifts it elsewhere.
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#13 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:35 PM

I call an elk hair caddis: "Don't ask" so when people ask me what I;m using I can say, "Don't ask"
laugh.gif laugh.gif

I've named a couple of my flys, I don't know why but for one in particular a name came to mind and it seemed to fit the fly perfectly. I don't think a person should tie, say a quill gordon, the same way so and so said to tie it in the newest flyfishing magazine and call it there own, but if any aspect of the fly is your own special modification then it's not so and so's quill gordon anymore it's yours to name whatever you want.

#14 Dripster

Dripster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:47 PM

I am not trying to be "pretentious"when I brought up this topic. I think some people are getting caried away with it. I name my flies after me because I made them. I would never steal someones fly and put my name on it. I am in no way shape or form in the same league as Clouser and the rest of the worlds great tyers and don't claim to be. I give my flies "quirky" names and I was just wondering if others did it too.
Dripster

#15 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:55 PM

Only when a fish gets off. Then I call them WILL ! laugh.gif
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock