Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Swiss Vise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mvalbano

mvalbano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone on the forum owns or has experience with the Marc Petitjean Swiss vise? Specifically I'm looking for information on the hook holding power especially in the bigger sizes. In my brief hands on with a friends, bigger streamer hooks and even long shank dry fly hooks were slipping in the jaws under moderate pressure and I was wondering if any owners out there had the same experience? I know its rated for hook sizes 9/0 - 32. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Michael 

#2 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

Nice looking vise. Too many parts for me though.

#3 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

I believe there's a guy here who ties allot of Pike flies that uses the Swiss master and seems to love it. I'm blanking on his name though.

#4 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

Tried doing a search, couldn't find a thread about it. Adam mentions his vise here. He's the one tying all the big pike flies with one. http://www.flytyingf...l=&fromsearch=1

#5 mvalbano

mvalbano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

Thank you so much!

#6 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

Yes Adam got one last year. He would be a good one to ask.

#7 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

fullsizeoutput_2870_zpsa2vo5phw.jpeg

Mustad Signature Series Tarpon 6/0

The jaws are NOT as intuitively user friendly and tenacious as a Law or Jvise but will hold plenty tight enough to tie...

to bend, NOT so much...

The Swiss is a bit complicated with curious "subtleties" but thoughtfully designed and built well...

After all, it's the Swiss Army Knife of vises...

slightly handicapped moderately decorated military aviator veteran with issues...

#8 mvalbano

mvalbano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Pete! I hope your enjoying your new home! Hope to see you at the symposium or fly fishing show this year.

Mike