Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

fly fishing for flounder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:56 PM

Yesterday I went fishing in Calcasieu Lake with my friend. We were on the water by 6:30 am. We spent most of the morning trying to find speckled trout and redfish using convential tackle and failing at it. We did pick up one nice flounder. About 11 am we decided to try some fly fishing in a relatively small bayou known as Hog Island Gully. I got several half-hearted hits on a glass minnow on my lighter 7 wt fly rod. I then switched to a clouser with a tail mimicking the wing, making this fly longer than a standard clouser. I tied this fly to mimic the only thing I've catching fish on this summer using conventional tackle, a white slimy slug with reflective silver specks in it. Anyway one flounder decided he liked it and inhaled it. Didn't manage to land it, because the flounder immediately came to the top and started to flap, during which I managed to somehow break the 8 lb tippet....but at least I found out my fly was effective...

Mark Delaney
So much water, so little time!!
http://chemprof.trip...om/fishing.html

#2 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:58 PM

Forgot to say, Calcasieu Lake is in southwest Louisiana, south of Lake Charles.

Mark Delaney

#3 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

I have never heard of flounder being in a lake. Is there access to salt water? Or am I confused as to what flounder you are talking of. Here they are strictly salt water, and very tasty.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#4 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,502 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:43 PM

That's cool you got into one Mark. While in Florida I seen some guys catching them but I knew I was out of my element trying to fish for them with a fly rod. blink.gif

test

#5 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:03 PM

Calcasieu Lake is connected to the Gulf of Mexico. There is a deep water ship channel all the way from Cameron on the coast to Laker Charles (some 60 miles by water). The ship channel is the longest dredged ship channel in the US. At the moment you can catch redfish and speckled trout behind the Lake Charles civic center in Lake Charles itself. The Calcasieu River drains Lake Charles, Prien Lake (also within the city limits), Moss Lake and Calcasieu Lake. It is a very large estuarine water sytem. Just north of town there is abarrier to stop salt water intrusion into the upper reaches of teh Calcasieu River system.

The fly i left in the jaw of the flounder ws the wing-tailed Clouser I posted today (8/17/05).

Mark Delaney