Jump to content

 Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes

RI, sundown to sunrise

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

    I LOVE SD!

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:48 AM

Spent the 4th fishing in RI. We started in the evening by hiking out Napatree point and not seeing any bait or bird activity. Bert managed a fat schoolie on a gurgler, but that was it.

Next stop was Quonnie pond. With all of the action that's been reported there recently, we figured it was a good bet. We arrived close to 10:00 P.M., and there were still a few hours left until the tide started to ebb. There was a great deal of junk (mung, weeds) being brought into the pond with the tide, and no signs of fishing. After a brief effort, we decided to head to the Point Judith area and potentially return to Quonnie a few hours later after the tide change.

We never made it back to Quonnie. We found a very good number of fish around the various rocks and jetties of the Point Judith area. Most were taken on topwater in only a few feet of water, and several others were caught on black flatwings and black snake flies. The most abundant fish was the ubiquitous hickory shad, but there were many fat schoolies and a few rat blues thrown in as well. The most intense action occurred during the ebb, which coincided with the sunrise. An hour before to a half hour after sunrise, it was a strike on every cast as we fished an outflow and loaded up on the shad and blues. It was ridiculous for a while.

We drove home at 5:30 A.M., feeling that we'd earned the action we encoutered. My legs are still sore from marching out on Napatree and back.