Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Project Healing Waters Redfish Swap

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:40 AM

I messaged steeldrifter and got the go-ahead for starting a swap for my local Project Healing Waters chapter's trip to Venice, LA in September. We will be chasing redfish September 12th to the 15th. There will be 5 anglers. Full disclosure, I will be one of the anglers. I will also be tying some flies for the group, I just have not decided which pattern yet.

For those not familiar with PHW, it is a group that introduces disabled veterans to fly fishing. They do rod building, fly tying, casting instruction, and guided trips. My local chapter (Oklahoma City) was started a year ago and has had several trips for trout and striper in the region, but I believe this is the first trip for reds. Those of us fishing on the trip will build a rod, take a casting class and then hopefully pull in a red!

https://projecthealingwaters.org/

What I am asking from you all is to tie whatever number of flies you feel is appropriate for the group. I would like to have at least one fly pattern for each angler, but extras would be appreciated in case snags and big fish steal a fly.

If you would like to participate, please post up with what pattern you would be sending. I will respond here and update this post, and send you a PM with my address. 

I will leave this open to anyone who wants to join, I just ask that flies arrive to me by 9/1/19. 

1 - atxdiscgolfer - RECEIVED
2 - DarrellP - clousers - RECEIVED x2
3 - Piker20 - assorted - RECEIVED
4 - IRLyRiser - RECEIVED
5 - fshng2 - assorted - RECEIVED

#2 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:51 PM

Any saltwater pattern? I can tie up some for you and the guys

#3 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

Redfish "specific" if possible but any saltwater pattern would be much appreciated!

#4 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:00 AM

I can tie up some Clousers.  Been wanting to try some red fox and coyote for them.  How do we send them to you?

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#5 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:56 AM

I can tie up some Clousers.  Been wanting to try some red fox and coyote for them.  How do we send them to you?

PM sent, sir. 

#6 IRLyRiser

IRLyRiser

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

I can whip up a batch of these for you guys. Theyre mainly good for larger reds on a 9 weight. I could tie them smaller for an 8 weight if you need.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6D43940C-C2D0-466E-B502-83E1A916E800.jpeg

#7 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

I can whip up a batch of these for you guys. They're mainly good for larger reds on a 9 weight. I could tie them smaller for an 8 weight if you need.

Excellent, what's it called?

#8 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

What size rods will you be using?

#9 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 08:02 AM

Since you don't have many people signing up yet, I will try to tie up several patterns.  I was thinking maybe some Seaducers, some snapping shrimp.  I have never tried a Merkin before, but I may try to tie some of those.

#10 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:00 PM

Since you don't have many people signing up yet, I will try to tie up several patterns.  I was thinking maybe some Seaducers, some snapping shrimp.  I have never tried a Merkin before, but I may try to tie some of those.

8-10wt.

#11 IRLyRiser

IRLyRiser

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:24 AM

Not sure. Weather sucks here today. Ill see if I can find the name and start tying them up.

#12 IRLyRiser

IRLyRiser

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:58 AM

Can’t find a name, but here’s the guy who I got it from. http://www.redchaser.com/

#13 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

Received a ton from Scotland today. Thank you piker20!

#14 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:38 PM

Dave Little
Club President, North Queensland Fly Fishers Inc.
www.nqflyfishers.com

#15 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:42 PM

Received from DarrellP, clousers, white Zonkers and crabs!