Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
caloosa bug

Deer hair fly care

Spun, stacked, and packed. How do you get the most life out of these labor intensive ties?

I have a few that have rusted the hook fairly quickly. I generally lay them out to dry after using, before I put them back in my box. Are you supposed to squeeze the water out of them? Maybe wrap in a paper towel to help draw the moisture out?

My problem with these could be from hooks of unknown age, quality, and origin. My more recent ties haven't rusted yet. Colors fade and bleed, but that's to be expected with dyed natural materials.

I also coat the faces and belly with liquid fusion, which does help with wear and tear.

Any tips on care, when on the water, is appreciated. Thanks

First item ... rust. There are two forms of corrosive "rust".

Electrolysis: Also called "Galvanic corrosion",it requires an electrolyte and dissimilar metals to create an electric circuit. This is the common corrosion on boats that stay in the water for lang periods of time.

Oxidation: Oxygen reacts with almost everything. Water helps the process, and some electrolysis may create the access channels.

Once started, the only way oxidation can be stopped is by preventing oxygen contact. Figuring in that many people consider WD-40 a fish attractant, you could soak the flies in it. Let them dry out, spray some on, and let that dry, to help protect the metal.

Personally, though, I tie my deer hair on stainless steel. For me, they are a chore ... and take way to much effort to lose it to corrosion.

sounds as if you know the answer. Use decent hooks and give them a chance to dry out. That's all I have ever done and I don't remember ever having a problem with corrosion.

"Use decent hooks and give them a chance to dry out."

+1 on this. I have deer hair flies that I've been using for years. After fishing one, I genty squeeze the excess water out of the hair, then stick the point of the hook into the bill of my cap (or my hatband if I'm wearing a hat). Next time out, before I start fishing, I retrieve the dried flies from the hat or cap, replace them in the fly boxes, and go fishing. I can't remember the last time I've had a rusted hook.

speaking of hooks, I just use the Mustad 3366 --regular old bronzed hook, not stainless, nothing fancy.

post-36073-0-58556000-1497553988_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Looking back through all my hair flies, the few that rusted, were on the same type hook... Hooks that came from a yard sale with my vice. Who knows how old they are.. They were also tied with sewing thread, before I bought heavier tying thread for deer hair. I can't remember what kind, so this may have contributed to moisture holding against the hook itself also.

Basically, I squeezed a newer tie the other day and noticed how much water it was holding.

Lesson learned. Thanks again.