Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

An outstanding trip!

Spent the past 2 days back on the Au Sable with my good friend Mark chasing trout. Had to cut the trip 1 day short due to a big storm that knocked the power in town/motel out, but we can't complain because the fishing was outstanding. Spent the morning's & mid day's stripping streamers on the spey rods and the evenings fishing dries on the 4wt's and had just an unreal time catching nice healthy browns & rainbows up to 18" with a vast majority of them being in the 13"-16" range. I turned the OD of the grip on my spey rod I built down a bit before this trip and it was just what I needed. It's so much more comfortable now I felt really good with the two handed rod and was throwing 80ft casts with ease this time. Excellent trip with a great friend with tons of beautiful good size Au Sable trout put in the net, just does not get much better than that.

6jEJ8j.jpg
IY8DwF.jpg
eNrr1H.jpg
rl5H7I.jpg
K1QauU.jpg
Zrv7RQ.jpg
SK6bX8.jpg
XjtjGL.jpg
HhLXq4.jpg
nSp3cz.jpg
rw1FHY.jpg
kg3RE5.jpg
l3jF1g.jpg
d7OxhO.jpg
T4N3uw.jpg
kG3tyi.jpg
sW5CWd.jpg
8Odq03.jpg
ABX9Sg.jpg
d3iRTW.jpg
l3GOUZ.jpg
kJrEm2.jpg
9mPqrE.jpg

Awesome stuff Steve !

We are headed to Maine the first week in July. Should be good too. One of these times we will hit the drake hatches again up there, maybe this is the year LOL !

Congrats on a fine memory-building trip.

FWIW I have also found that fish go nuts feeding just before a major storm front arrives. Somewhere around here I have a fading photo -- at least four decades old -- of a tarp laid out with a double limit of large mouth bass 5lbs and up and two freshwater stripers 13 and 17 pounds. They were all caught on plastic worms over a classified spot in one evening just before a deluge. The storm chased us out out of our tents and into dens of inequity in town. The rest of the week was a bust fishing wise...

Rocco

Well that's funny, I counted just brown, one rainbow, and one smallie.

happy.png happy.png happy.png

No seriously, that looks like beautiful water full of fish, thanks for taking us there.

One atta boy on those rods too!

Just two days of fishing, and all those beautiful fish pictures! I know you've shown healthy fish from the Au Sable River before, but I think these show the health of the River, too.

Great fishing. I am glad Mark caught some, too (and you have pictures of it).

Yeah I don't know who was happier when Mark caught that nice brown, he or I biggrin.png For some reason he always has issues catching anything nice on trips so I was really praying that he caught a nice one this time. He had that one on and I was wading down to net it seeing it was a decent one just thinking in my mind "please don't be a sucker" because there are some river suckers in that area as well. Got down to him and slid the net under it for him and he had a smile on his face like a little kid at Christmas. Was nice to see.

Steve,

Thanks for posting the pictures of your trip. What a wonderful experience to combine fishing with catching. A great story and wonderful pictures.

Tom

Looks like a good trip, and sounds like you're getting the hang of casting the two hander.

Many of those fish look wild, that's promising to me. I'll be spending two months this fall in Wisconsin, and although the Au Sable is probably out of my driving range while there, it gives me hope that I can find some wild trout on rivers big enough to cast a light two hander.

Good looking fish there Steve!Anyone ever tell you that you look like uncle Si?