Fly Tying

Last episode I setup camp at the blue mesa escape camp ground, and went to fish the Gunnison river. I ended up getting dehydrated and almost didnt make it back. I only caught 2 fish, and both were rather small. I ended up going out to Gunnison to talk to the local fly shop, and got some advice for the river. And boy am I glad I did, because I caught some nice fish this trip!

I started off nymphing with a large wire worm and small nymph. I hooked and landed a large wild rainbow trout. One of the prettiest I have ever seen. The colors were vivid, and it was very dark. A good fighter too. Hooking it on a small midge made the fight difficult however it was also very fun! I was so happy to get a fish so early on in the trip.
A little later in the day, after fishing many spots with no success. I noticed the trout started hitting the top of the water. So I threw on a dry fly, and hooked a decent brook trout on the small adams dry fly. He was also very beautiful, with well defined spots.
I started noticing some large moths on the water, and flying in the air. I didnt have any other large dry fly except a stimulator. So I threw that on, and hooked a really nice trout on that large dry fly.
Overall I was very happy with the trip, an absolute great day on the water!