Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Opinions on this fly, please.

So I am tying these articulated streamers...

post-52874-0-23319300-1489937496_thumb.jpg

And it looks to me like the hooks are too close together. I have size 4 and 2 hooks, with the back being a shorter shank.

Do you use longer shank hooks and shorter tail so that the fly is not too long and the hooks too close?

Or should I use no hook on the back at all, just a dressed shank?

You can use beads to lengthen the articulation and prevent fowling.

Yes... I am using only one on that fly.

The more I look at it the longer the tail looks. More beads, less tail next time.

Thanks!

I don't tie true articulated flies but I have tied trolling flies which are put together on a cable. But the smaller second hook is tied in point up, changes things a bit. As such so the hooks don't appear so close to one another.

Well, give me a little recipe and I will produce one and try it for some Walleye on the Fly. Going to be a few weeks before the bite starts but I will surely report back.

Marabou tail and ice chenille body on the #4 trailer.

Ice chenille body with zonker strip on top, plus dubbing head on the #2 front hook.

Well this is just my 2 cents. With that fly I'm asking what size are your beads? Don't make your loop to tight. Maybe try 3 of the smaller beads like the kind from WM. I use a lot of them. Smaller hook in the rear. Larger in front like you have. I use both long shank and short depending on the fly. Have you considered more body on the rear hook? This fly has the small beads in it.

Kevin

post-3866-0-50640400-1490053153_thumb.jpg

Overall these flies are 2 1/2 - 3 inches.

The beads are very small, the assorted color, uneven shape, glass beads from Wally World's craft section.

I see in Eastern Fly's pic the longer shank hooks and extra beads. I just couldn't see the proportions when tying it.