Fly Tying

Sparkle Pops

DenDuke

Do you have difficulty getting the eyes just right on the double barrel poppers? I do.

They gotta be size of the socket to Krazy glue. These fit right in. If your eyes are bigger than the socket pain to trim it out for sure. Did some of the jewel eyes on the big bodies; these are smaller. Cut the other eyes off and trimmed the socket away to acccomadate the larger eyes. Soft bodies tough to trim. Took a file and roughed up the ss hooks and used big needle to pilot hole to glue the hooks. Needled the legs thru. The flash on the legs and the pearl flakes make a nice sparkle effect.. Got the sparkle legs off a spinner bait.

This is one of the larger bodies and had to trim to get the big jewel eyes on. Jury still out on the jewel eyes....

IMG_1689.jpg

I got 2 sizes from Bspro. Chartreuse good color not sure how painting the soft bodies would work. Spots, sparkle, sharpie that's it.

IMG_1696.jpg

I like poppers with glitter on them and use them more than any others. I use the smaller grain glitter and leave them rough textured though. I make them on my own bodies though. It's the fish catchingest poppers I make.

post-20375-0-83867600-1506113245_thumb.jpg

Looks fishy! Prolly don't want legs on pencils but more sparkle with some jazzy sparkle rubber legs on the tails. I found some on a spinner bait skirt. I'm prolly sparkle crazy....I put some even on frogs... when you duck hunt you try to "finish" the birds i.e. Land them in the decoys on the water. I think flash and sparkle help "finish" fish on the strike!!!

When I tie harder bodied poppers I use Sallie Hansen's with glitter already added. I feel like Double Barrels are too soft to keep Sallie's from cracking. What did you use to adhere your glitter? I have some Loon Soft Head that should be arriving today that I want to try on some Double Barrels.

Krazeglue on a brush and glitter outa shaker then tamp scratch loose off. Not very scientific huh? Sometimes use bargain glitter fingernail polish especially on hard pops. Mostly dab on here there....

I initially used sparkle flakes on my poppers but in my search to make my own Loco Foam I stumbled across transfer foil which, at least in Hobby Lobby, is now called Art Deco foil. I have to coat the popper body with a clear drying tacky glue to apply it. These are some of the bodies. The hooks aren't as long as they seem they're only about half way through the bodies.

Mother of Pearl(MOP) foil

post-309-0-42849900-1506524519_thumb.jpg

Holographic Silver Foil

post-309-0-55941400-1506524544_thumb.jpg

Motor Oil foil

post-309-0-59328900-1506524573_thumb.jpg

Finished popper, MOP foil, spinner bait skirt.

post-309-0-83107800-1506524592_thumb.jpg

I don't usually use legs on my large poppers. They have light coat of UV resin on the body. I haven't tried any of the double barrel poppers. Keep meaning to order some just haven't gotten around to it. I don't know if they're softer than the standard soft body foam popper. Still either a light coat of a UV resin, a flexible one if you can find it, shouldn't crack. When I was trying to make my eyes flush with the body, I used a dremel tool with a round head bit to make the cavity.

Never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer.... Philly...How do the hook eyes work? Foil is thin flex enough to work around the curves?.... need to try the foil.

IMG_1750.jpg

Bottom left soft foam(actually very hard), moving up, styrofoam(hard), top homemade cork w/fine glitter, over to right sheet foam(pretty hard), lower right the double barrels (very tough but actually softer than all)

Key word here is "dabbing on " mostly not complete coat....so hard-soft body no matter to me.

IMG_1751.jpg

Glitter polish, sprinkles, both...you name it!

Wow great job Philly and Denduke!

Philly the transfer foil looks stellar.

Do you have any issues with wrinkles when applying the foil? From pics it doesn't appear to have any.

Did you shape your own foam?

Denduke, just like any other hook eye in a popper. When I'm ready to finish them I push the hook all the way through. For me it's a three or four step process, get all the bodies done, colored, foil applied, eyes and UV resin, etc. When I'm ready to finish them I'll slide the bodies on the hook and start my thread on the shank for the tail materials. Remove the body and finish the tail materials, cover the shank with adhesive, slide the body on and set aside till the adhesive sets. The final step, if I use them, is add the legs.

It's not really foil. A transfer sheet would be more accurate. The color or pattern is on one side of a thin, clear piece of "paper" You apply the foiling glue which dries tacky to the popper bodies then press the sheet against it and the color or design comes off. You can also use the craft foam that has a sticky back and press the transfer sheet against the tacky side which is what I did for these beetles.

post-309-0-16070300-1506610325_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't call it flexible, you can wrap it around a popper body and press it against the body. You're going to miss spots, but you can press the piece that still has the color on it against the missed spots and fill them in. I'm trying to think of an example. OK, an iron on logo for a t-shirt. You pick up the logo, lay it on top of the t-shirt, use a hot iron to press it onto the shirt. You peel back the material the logo was on and the logo stays on the shirt. Same principle, instead of a hot iron, you're using a tacky surface to hold the "design"

I don't usually shape foam unless I'm playing around and trying to make a something that actually looks like a Hula Popper, Zara Spook, Jitterbug or a diving plug. I just buy the pre-shaped foam popper bodies. I am having a hard time finding pencil popper bodies, so I'm probably going to have to shape some out of foam cylinders

Philly thanks for explaining how transfer sheet

material is applied.

Was thinking it would look good on some crease flies.

I believe we were both in the "Favorite Saltwater Baitfish Pattern Swap" around January on SOL. Hilltop made a crease fly from 3/16 polyethylene foam, you made a Peanut Bunker. I just got some foam to try and thought the transfer sheet would work.

No, I haven't . I don't have anything to hold the tool though I do have all the mandrels he shows and Finagle's law. "Things that can go wrong will go wrong at worst possible moment" applies to most of my mechanical endeavors.