Fly Tying
tctrout

Stonfo Elite Bobbin Review

In my newest video, I did a review of the Stonfo Elite series of bobbins. If you've used them, I'd love to hear your thoughts...plus any additional comments related to other bobbins out there you would recommend.

Thanks!

TC

Well Tim ....I have only tried the generic types mostly ( ceramic and non-ceramic) , But I do own a Rite Bobbin that you can do half hitches with it goes pretty good if set correctly.

I do however like the set up with the adjustment on the one in your review. That's probably an improvement they need to make on the Rite bobbins lol

Regards and tight lines

Retro ( Nick)

I'm glad you mentioned that about the half-hitches, Nick...the large-diameter Stonfo MAY have that ability. I've never tried it, but will investigate a bit. Thanks for the reply and sharing your bobbins.

Tim

Tim I very much like the Rite bobbins. The Stonfo seems to have basically the same design as the Rite. What are your impressions of the Rite bobbins? Nice informative video by the way. Thanks.

Tim I very much like the Rite bobbins. The Stonfo seems to have basically the same design as the Rite. What are your impressions of the Rite bobbins? Nice informative video by the way. Thanks.

Pretty much the same as the Rite Bobbins, don't you think, Tim?

The Stonfo bobbins are similar, but by no means the same. They have different characteristics, with their main similarity being a tension system. Being that Rite are such a popular bobbin, they are the "one" that many others get compared to. I try to steer away from comparisons and point out the features of each, as both are excellent bobbins for us. Here's a great article by Martin Joergensen related to the various bobbins out there he was familiar with:

http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better-tying-tools/bobbin-holders

TC

Tim

Do you feel that there is enough of a difference between them to warrant a Rite owner to

give Stonfo a shot ? I know it a matter of perception but since you know both bobbins what is your perception?

I purchased the Stonfo bobbins and they are okay but I had an issue with them. Maybe it was just the way I was holding them in my hand but as I tied I started to notice that the tension was getting loose. I would have to stop and re-tighten it. It continued to happen on both bobbins that I had so I knew it was not just a fluke on one bobbin. I decided to give Rite a try and I not longer have the issue of the tension getting loose. I imagine it was the way I was holding the bobbin. The Rite tension knob is recessed plus it has the small plastic knobs so the brass star screw cannot get loose easily. I prefer the Rite bobbins over the Stonfo's.

Tim

Do you feel that there is enough of a difference between them to warrant a Rite owner to

give Stonfo a shot ? I know it a matter of perception but since you know both bobbins what is your perception?

This is the big question with so many things in tying and fly fishing. The answer really depends on the type of person you are and your desire to try new things. My best example is wading shoes: I found a pair I love a few seasons ago and now own four pairs...but if I see another pair that intrigues me, I will still take the plunge just because! Is there that big of a difference IF you're already vested with another bobbin you like and are happy with? I don't believe so. But if you're like me and love many aspects of tying (especially the tools),then you're always ready to try another product for the sake of checking it out.

I hope that makes sense, and if you decide to try one, please let me know your thoughts...

Tim

I use bobbins from Tiemco, Griffin, and Anglerhaus along with few other "cheapos". No real difference for me.

I tend to tension my bobbins a little loose and squeeze them when I need more tension such as spinning dear hair or tying in calf tail. How do these bobbins preform in a situation when you need more tension only for a few wraps?

I use bobbins from Tiemco, Griffin, and Anglerhaus along with few other "cheapos". No real difference for me.

I tend to tension my bobbins a little loose and squeeze them when I need more tension such as spinning dear hair or tying in calf tail. How do these bobbins preform in a situation when you need more tension only for a few wraps?

They perform as expected, being that you can simply tighten/loosen in a second. When you find the most common tension you need, the adjustment from that point tends to be minor, and easy to return to your "zero" point.

Hi everyone

I was given a C&F CFT-60SW bobbin holder with and gravity system for Christmas and more recently was given a Stonfo for my birthday. I am not sure what it is but I actually find the stonfo more comfortable and easier to use (My Italian genes? :) )

Having said that I also have a Standard short ceramic bobbin holder without the gravity system that I use for wrapping spider wire around posts and very rarely do I break the thread. Once I bent the arms to the tension I wanted it has been smooth as! That would be my second favourite bobbin holder.

The C&F is more designed to impress on-lookers. And because I tie on my own in the study.... It isnt necessary. And let me tell you C&F is not cheap in Australia (Disclaimer - I do love my C&F Hackle pliers and fly boxes)

Cheers

VB1971

I have one and don't particularly like it. I prefer to have the tension set to just enough to support the weight of the bobbin. I can then instantly adjust the tention by merely squeezing the spool. That is not easy with the Stonfo. I find that the Stonfo's tension clutch is too sensitive and comes out of adjustment too easily.