Fly Tying
Papa Baske

Cyanoacrylat accident

Hi guys. I want to tell you about a little accident i had today. I started tying a fly and the first thing i did was lay a baselayer of thread and then wrapped some leadwire onto the shank, to give the fly some weight. I then proceeded to find my superglue to secure the wire a bit. The glue had hardened a bit in the spout and what i did next can only be described as stupid. Instead of cleaning the spout with a needle, i just pressed the tube a little firmer. Big mistake. Next thing i knew is glue on the table, the pedestal base, the bobbin and the spool of thread. I of course panicked and grabbed the bobbin.. Mistake nr 2. I damn nearly glued my fingers to the bobbin/together. Lyckly all my digits are still seperate, but the spool of thread is done for and so is the bobbin, as the glue of course vent inside the tube. Maybe i should shift over the the gel type glue with a brush. Anyway just a little reminder of how nasty that stuff can be. Good day to you all

Been there, done that, bought the tee-shairt.

Dumped half a bottle once onto my lap, doing a rod repair.

Half a can of acetone and a roll of paper toweling later, I managed to get free of my pants.

Your brush idea sure seems the way to go.

CA is not a substitute for head cement. Use it sparingly and carefully.:)

My accidents have been minor, compared to yours, but CA is not very forgiving.....

You can soak your bobbin in acetone to remove the glue.

Will acetone also dissolve the glue when it has hardened? I also have Cellulose thinner available.

CA is not a substitute for head cement. Use it sparingly and carefully.smile.png

My accidents have been minor, compared to yours, but CA is not very forgiving....

I wasn't using it instead of headcement. Only using it to secure the leadwire and dumbell eyes. But you are right. CA is not very forgiving. Specialy on skin

Hi papa,

It sounds like you had a bit of a train wreck with the glue; stuff like that will happen. You might consider a bottle of the brush on crazy glue. Gretchen & I have used it for a number of years with only a few "accidents." We like to cut about half of the brush fibers off as soon as we purchase a bottle of the glue to reduce the amount of glue we apply to the ???. Take care & ...

Hi papa,

It sounds like you had a bit of a train wreck with the glue; stuff like that will happen. You might consider a bottle of the brush on crazy glue. Gretchen & I have used it for a number of years with only a few "accidents." We like to cut about half of the brush fibers off as soon as we purchase a bottle of the glue to reduce the amount of glue we apply to the ???. Take care & ...

Any brands you can recommend

Hmmm ... let me think ....

I don't remember ever having a problem with super glue ...

Maybe ... in a dream ... ?

But never when awake ... that I remember !!!

But they do say that trauma can cause amnesia, so maybe I just can't remember it.

I don't think I would change a thing unless I just wanted a different product as well. But I would clear the nozzle next time rather than over pressurize the bottle. Just sayin.

Haha nice one Mike.

Dave the brand doesn't matte much to me. They are all CA after all. Can't be that much difference. But i recognise it was my own fault.

And just a litte pic of the fly which i think turned out ok after all

e67dbec0-f722-469c-8856-3168d0bdb7c7_zps

You can soak your bobbin in acetone to remove the glue.

Will acetone also dissolve the glue when it has hardened? I also have Cellulose thinner available.

Yes, the acetone will remove the hardened glue.

Haha nice one Mike.

Dave the brand doesn't matte much to me. They are all CA after all. Can't be that much difference. But i recognise it was my own fault.

And just a litte pic of the fly which i think turned out ok after all

e67dbec0-f722-469c-8856-3168d0bdb7c7_zps

That's an awesome fly !

By product change I more meant something with a brush that someone indicated using. I have considered that for similar steps as you were taking actually. My super glues come from beauty supply shops because my wife uses them and my daughter is in that business. I don't shop for super glue, it gets shall we say donated. LOL.