Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Mary Orvis Marbury inspired wet fly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ringus

Michael Ringus

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

Was sitting at the desk looking for inspiration this is what came out

Attached Thumbnails

• mom 003.jpg

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

Michael, I am not into "classic" flies.  But I do like the white tipped feather placed inside, with the red/blue outside.

Nicely tied.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:26 AM

That certainly has shades of Orvis all over it!Especially the bass patterns!Nicely done
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#4 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

Ok

#5 SILKHDH

SILKHDH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

I dig it!  I got into tying some of the old bass patterns for display. I got so excited over them I bought some old bass flies on E-bay.  I just had to hold a real old one in my hands and look at it.  They're cool.  I was puzzled to see some of them only tie one feather in for the wing instead of two back to back.  I didn't when I tied mine, but many of the old ones were done that way. And NO the feather did not break off.  I love the old stuff. I have a mini antique fishing museum in my basement/mancave. LOL..That's how much I enjoy the history of fishing.  Now go get an old split bamboo rod and an old Pfluger reel, some silk line and some gut leaders and catch something with it old school...I did.

#6 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:37 PM

Hi Michael,

That is a beautiful fly. Good job! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com