Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
atxdiscgolfer

Surf fishing in Pensacola, FL area

Hey guys,

I am heading to Pensacola mid week for vacation and thinking about bringing the fly rod to fush the beaches in early am hours; around here we walk out to 2nd sandbar and cast out towards the 1st or 3rd sandbar depending on the wind for trout, spanish mack, ladyfish, reds, etc..What are some suggestions and what can I expect to catch there? Any help is appreciated.

It's been a few years but we have stayed at the Navy Lodge on the NAS a few times, it's on the mainland side of the bay. Walking the beach in the mornings with my 7 weight I caught lots of ladyfish, a few blues, and a few flounder. Off the breakwalls at the Coast Guard station I caught blues, ladyfish, small redfish, flounder, and a big spotted sea trout. I hooked and lost a massive redfish off the beach in the cut at the state park at the end of the penninsula too. Ladyfish and blues will destroy flies in a hurry and are not picky, so take lots of simple streamers- I caught lots of them on size 2 and size 1 streamers which were nothing but a hunk of silver and pearl crystal flash.

that was all right on the beach, knee to thigh deep, and dry feet too. One day I was wading out quite a bit in the bay, over my waist and saw a massive shark cruise by, so that was enough of that. Some of the pics of the bull sharks they catch from the Coast Guard station breakwalls are amazing... I do remember hearing about people fishing the sandbars by the bridges somewhere there- but again that was 9 and more years ago, and I don't know the details. I just walked the beach at dawn every day and cast either to feeding fish, or to any structure I could see- most of the structure was just current breaks caused by sand piling up. (or sand piling up caused by current...)

Only really had 1 day with great weather; ended up mainly golfing and spending time at the beach. I was going to get a guide but most were booked- oh well next time i guess

Golfing? I would much rather fling a buggy whip around than pay to chase a little white ball around.

We had crappy weather at Mexico beach last month my two days there as well but I still got two firsts in the surf. A whiting and a flounder and battled a huge stingray for quite a while hoping for a big red to show.

Yeah i know i just kept missing that early morning window of opportunity; I did fish 1 morning from about 8-10 but that was it. The water looked beautiful, way nicer than what i am used to fishing here at Texas coast; my wife likes to fish too but fishes conventional only. The next time I am there i would like to find a guide that wiuld take us both out with me fly fishing and her conventional; around here all of the fly fishing guides just wont do it and I get it but it would be cool if I could make that happen.

Guides that won't cater to both fly and conventional anglers? That's odd. I know quite a few guides here and their main thing is to stay booked with whomever and whatever. Maybe Florida is different than Texas.

Keep looking though, I'm sure you will find one that WILL cater.