Fly Tying

The Gunnison River is a tailwater of the Blue Mesa Reservoir, and its really good fishing. Better known is the Black Canyon River section of the Gunnison which is further down stream, but it is still great fishing right near the dam. In fact, one of the trout I caught on my second day, was one of the prettiest rainbow's I've ever seen. Super colorful, just absolutely amazing! Also, there was something a bit surreal about this river. Being in the middle of a narrow canyon, with rocks on either side. There was an echo that made for some excellent noises when fighting fish. Every time they would jump, it sounded amplified.

The fish were hitting streamer, but on the 2nd day, I started getting some fish on dry fly and nymphs. It was a really really good day. Please stay tuned next week for an absolutely amazing day fishing!
I stayed at a camp ground overnight in a tent. The camp ground was called "Blue Mesa Escape" and I highly recommend staying there if you plan on camping around that area. If river fishing is not your thing, there is a large lake that have some record sized lake trout in them. Seriously, some are upwards of 50+ lbs! If you want to stay there, please make a reservation at the camp ground before showing up. They are booked up regularly because they are so nice and good prices.

Very nice video...thanks for sharing and I'm hoping to see what happened when you moved downstream. I rarely fish that area due to the difficulty of figuring out what the flows are at the time. My house is about 1:15 minutes away and it is hard to just head out without any idea as to what flow to expect. It's just normally a lot easier to head to the Upper Gunnison or Taylor, but I'm planning to go do a bit of "research" on that area in the near future. Doug

Yeah, I heard the north gunnison was good as well, however that was a bit of a drive from that camp site. So I fished close to home per say... Glad you liked the video, and seriously bring water and no waders if you go on that part!!!! HAHA Don't make my mistake, I almost passed out!