Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

Green Highlander

Eide,

Beautiful tie as always. I do not believe you could tie a shabby looking fly if you tried.

Oh, how i envy your talent in getting the topping to meet sooooo well with the tailing. How you split the married wing with the pheasant is REALLY cool and not normal, but you make it look right. You have more talent than i can hope to get to. But, Why did you start the tag so far forward? It gives the fly a lop sided look. Everything i was taught says to start just above the barb. Is there a reason i haven't learned for pushing forward?

BTW Your head is a work of art also. I know you know more than i, so PLEASE see this as a question for my own research and NOT a criticism of this fly. You OBVIOUSLY planned it out this way i just don't don't understand why.

Or is it because the Golden crest couldn't reach to the barb???

DrVette, my vote is so it fits the available crest feathers. I gave up with my attempts on the classic flies for several reasons but one being I was buying 5 heads to find one or two flies worth of crest feathers. The small feathers and very long feathers are so hard to find in the quality you want.

Lovely fly Eide but when are we going to see some silver?? Out seasons done now and I need to see some Norwegian beasts.

Oh, how i envy your talent in getting the topping to meet sooooo well with the tailing. How you split the married wing with the pheasant is REALLY cool and not normal, but you make it look right. You have more talent than i can hope to get to. But, Why did you start the tag so far forward? It gives the fly a lop sided look. Everything i was taught says to start just above the barb. Is there a reason i haven't learned for pushing forward?

BTW Your head is a work of art also. I know you know more than i, so PLEASE see this as a question for my own research and NOT a criticism of this fly. You OBVIOUSLY planned it out this way i just don't don't understand why.

Yes, I would have liked it a little bit further back, changing to next one :) Still fishable though

DrVette, my vote is so it fits the available crest feathers. I gave up with my attempts on the classic flies for several reasons but one being I was buying 5 heads to find one or two flies worth of crest feathers. The small feathers and very long feathers are so hard to find in the quality you want.

Lovely fly Eide but when are we going to see some silver?? Out seasons done now and I need to see some Norwegian beasts.

tail.jpg

Got this one on a tied-in-hand Durham Ranger just a couple of days before the season ended

Ooooh that looks like that was a stonker. Catch that in spring and you'll see the backing a few times.

Yes, I would have liked it a little bit further back, changing to next one smile.png Still fishable though

tail.jpg

Got this one on a tied-in-hand Durham Ranger just a couple of days before the season ended

Seriously, You are going to fish with that fly? You are killing me me with just thinking about it.

I have yet to have a real classic salmon fly in my hands to examine, and you, you are going going to swing this to the water??? My heart isn't that strong man.

Seriously, You are going to fish with that fly? You are killing me me with just thinking about it.

I have yet to have a real classic salmon fly in my hands to examine, and you, you are going going to swing this to the water??? My heart isn't that strong man.

Yes, this is for fishing :) Going to spend the winter tying up some classics (like this) for fishing, once you get the hang of tying in the wing it isn't that hard ;)