Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

It just holds the line.....or does it?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:29 PM

Here's my 10 cents 'cause my 2 cents is free. wink.gif
I ventured out and purchased a +100 dollar reel recently. ($130 and some change actually.)
It's nice. Looks good, feels good and it passed the Schnauzer test with flying colors. The Schnauzer test is my own self developed test that I put any new rod or reel thru. It involves my miniature schnauzer "shaggy" and one of the kids with a "scooby snack" for the drag test. Shaggy and a chew toy for the fight test.
So far it has been a 100% successfull testing procedure. Being that, any reel that failed during the test failed at some point while fishing and any that PASSED have NOT failed while fishing.
So the Orvis passed just fine.
But, so didn't the Okuma Integrity.
The Okuma has held its own in battle a few times too, and has always come out of it unscathed.
Priced around $65-$75 and spare spools at $22.00 it's truely a deal.
The Orvis was $130 with spare spools running around $70.
The Orvis is lighter.
Both have pretty much the same drag system.
A big plus with the Integrity reel is the large star drag adjuster, It's a fantastic design.
Easy to adjust with the palm or a finger while fighting and It is also very responsive.
I wish the Orvis had the larger drag adjustment knob.
I was told that if I wanted to sell the Orvis I could get what I paid for it. But the Integrity would re-sell for much less. Why? If that Okuma Integrity was called the Orvis Integrity it could sell for $200 plus and no one would think twice.
I like the Orvis and will probably have it for a very long time, but I am finding it very hard to say that it was worth the extra cost. It might get me a better seat at the next TU meeting, but that is about it.
I would say if you are in the market for a work horse reel for salmon, steelhead, pike, or bass then give the Okuma Integrity a try. For the price, if you drop it you won't cringe to badly.
This is more or less a review for those that want a good reel but don't want to break the bank and aren't sure of what to get. If ya get one and don't like it, they sell for around 55 bucks on ebay then tack on 6 more for shipping.

#2 wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:54 PM

LOL about the "Shaggy" tests!! laugh.gif I am assuming the fight test involves having some line, maybe the rod, and let Shaggy have at it? Do you think we could replicate these tests with a Jack Russell Terror? Perhaps Ali is more representative of fighting a steelhead or bonefish when she runs off with her treat. bugeyes.gif

You definitely struck a cord on what you get for money spent. I have an Okuma Sierra 4/5 that I fished with a little last year. Worked great. Took on some sizeable fish and didn't falter. Impressed me enough I decided to pick up a Cabela's Prestige for my new 6-weight. For $30, if I catch a few fish and it goes down, oh well.

Still shaking my head over the torture testing. It's definitely creative. Maybe we should make an award for best use of household pets in fishing activities? blink.gif

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,950 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:01 PM

Totally agree with you guys, I have a few Okuma's and they are one of the most under rated reels for the quality IMO. Never had a problem with mine, they are smooth and somewhat light, great little reels.

Far as the "shaggy test", I do something like that myself but I usually just wrap my line around Will's neck and let him run around and try to drag his ass back in. I figure Will's about the same weight as most the salmon I catch Mooning-Smilie.gif laugh.gif

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:00 PM

how much drag pressure do you need to turn a Will?
He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.

#5 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:05 PM

After seeing pictures of those scrawny legs, I'd say 2lbs max. Something like a 7x tippet should be plenty. Even if he makes a spirited run. rolleyes.gif

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,950 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:28 PM

Carl hit it dead on...7x and let the drag do the work is all it usually takes. He complains alot though when I grab him by the lower lip and smack him on the head with a club once I get him to me.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:48 AM

You would rig up just like for fishing. For the drag test I simply attach the line to his color and one of the kids gets out in front with a scooby snack. As he takes off I gradually increase the drag to try to slow him down. I generally do this a couple times
The chew toy is more of a test for the rod than the reel. But I tie to a chew rag thing he has and toss it to him. He then goes into a head shake, jumpin up and down routine. He has fun, gets excercise, I get my gear tested AND I haven't had a neighbor bother me in a very long time either. dunno.gif

#8 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:00 AM

I was going to make a comment on how rude it is the way you guys slap Will around. Then I find out your clubing him instead! OK!

BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:43 PM

I can just see the animal activits pulling up in the driveway now! What are you doing to that poor dog? Just joking I think it is great. Make the little farts do something for their food. I (or should I say my wife) has a poodle I would love to find some use outta it. Maybe I could sell it to a oriental restuarant! devil.gif No that would be a divorce and she would try to take my fishing stuff!

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#10 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:49 PM

Oh ya the Okuma Integrity is a real champ I have a 5/6 and love it. I also own a sierra nice also. But you are right they are great for the $. Also look at the phlueger Trion I have a 3/4 in it and that is a solid piece of equip.

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#11 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:08 PM

I have an Okuma Integrity 10/11 on my steelhead rod. I don't know why since my s rod is only an 8 weight, I'm guessing it's so there is more room for backing? Anyways thats how it was set up when I got it, seems to work great so far in at home testing