Fly Tying
flytire

New reel and line

redington-i-d-reel.jpg

redington id 3-4wt reel

redington camo sticker to apply to the reel side thats showing

hook & hackle wf-4-f line

12lb backing

i think its time to resurrect a 39 year old winston 8ft-6in 4wt im6 graphite fly rod out of its hermetically sealed closet (its been hiding away since 1992 when i moved away from colorado back to connecticut. sometimes you do desperate things to remain employed) and liven it back up with a new reel and line. i won that rod at a cutthroat chapter of trout unlimited auction raffle for a $1 ticket.

sure i could have asked for recommendations from the forum members (only to end up in an opinion contest) or spent $$$ on a fancier reel and $90 fly line set up but being retired has its limits. Plus its the setup I wanted. its gonna hold the fly line just right! all in all its $150 out of my wallet.

i listen to what the voices in my head tell me to do :)

When you listen to the voices in your head you get good advise.

That's what I always say, and they usually agree.

you betcha

and the sage rod i won the following year

spooled up the redington reel this morning. after undoing the twist ties that hold the line in a coil, it is not recommended that you drop it on the floor and have it roll away from you creating a jumbled up mess of knotted fly line. but all went fine after getting the mess untangled smile.png

I have a Redington reel that I have used and abused hard and often for about 25 years and it still works great.

you betcha

and the sage rod i won the following year

spooled up the redington reel this morning. after undoing the twist ties that hold the line in a coil, it is not recommended that you drop it on the floor and have it roll away from you creating a jumbled up mess of knotted fly line. but all went fine after getting the mess untangled smile.png

My 5 year old Grandaughter: "I have a really bad knot in my shoe lace"!

My daughter: "I can't get this out, I'm going to have to cut it".

My wife: "Bring it to Pop Pop he's a fly fishermen".