Fly Tying
Trampus

Coq De Leon Question

From what I understand,they kind of short you on quantity

i just use grizzly hackle or partridge hackle fibers in lieu of cdl. after all theyre only used as tailing

save the cdl for dry flies

mallard, teal, gadwall works also

I wouldn't buy a Hareline CDL pack - just too much $ for what you get. If you're going to use a large amount of it get a Whiting Tailing Pack and you'll have a lifetime supply of CDL. Or, as flytire said, just substitute for it if you're only tying up a few. Nothing wrong with regular old pheasant tail on that pattern.

I don't know how Harline's is. Their stuff can be good or sometimes miss the mark too. I have some of their dubbing I like. But anyway, for this fly, I think I would consider the Grizzly idea already mentioned. It's not going to look enough different to matter to the fish. I have multi grizzly necks and a soft hen hackle cape and mostly unused long feathers on the ends of them all, good place to use some up. And too, a generic neck can last a lifetime that way !

I personally don't see what the big deal is with CdL, especially those tiny packs for big money.

As Chris_NH said, the Whiting tailing packs are a good alternative, and also, if you want to use oodles of the stuff, get a Whiting CdL rooster cape or saddle. For what you'd pay for just a few packs you can have more than you'll ever use in this decade or the next.

I have a Whiting Tailing pack, and havent even made a DENT in the thing and have tied dozens of dozens flies with the fibers. Great value. Ill probably never have to buy another one in that color again.

Whiting Farms Tailing Packs in cdl at Feather emporium is $15, FWIW. Who knows if you will ever get it but that's what it costs there. I didn't look anywhere else.

Edit: Whiting Farms Tailing pack.

Hook and Hackle $15 ( limited colors)

Bears Den is $20

Fly Shack is $25

Hairline coq de leon ( looks like strung feathers, couldn't tell from the photo for sure)

J. Stockard $8.75

I have a Whiting Tailing pack, and havent even made a DENT in the thing and have tied dozens of dozens flies with the fibers. Great value. Ill probably never have to buy another one in that color again.

They really are great for tailing. I just wish I had dark dun instead of the light dun that I ended up with.

The pardo tailing pack is fantastic for Frenchies as well.

Right now ( today) I'm using Mayfly Tails from Hare Line with so called "Water Shed". I have them in Olive, medium Dun and dark Dun. The jury is still out ! Well, they tie in nice but I haven't fished them. I'm using the medium for Mahogany duns in size 12 but almost thinking the dark would be better suited. To me their medium is almost bordering on light.

I might end up stripping some feathers if this doesn't do it for me.

They really are great for tailing. I just wish I had dark dun instead of the light dun that I ended up with.

The pardo tailing pack is fantastic for Frenchies as well.

You should have bought some Tailing packs when Whiting had them in grizzly and brown. Talk about perfect for tails on anything adams !

post-12032-0-75867200-1469473347_thumb.jpg

I have two packs of pardo, one of which is a speckled darker coloring with lots of brown and ginger...the other is a more black and light dun with a bit of light gold/ginger...both of which I vastly prefer to the grizzly and brown spade hackle. I like the finer patterning on the pardo feathers for something like tailing.

That all being said, the CdL I use the most is actually a CdL hen saddle I picked up for cheap at a show a few years back (like seriously...I think I paid like $7 for an on-the-card Whiting CdL hen saddle). Totally different feather. Instead of fine and glassy, it's super thick, super webby, and absolutely ideal for all sorts of large trout & smallie patterns like helgrammites, bugger variants, and sculpin.

I have two packs of pardo, one of which is a speckled darker coloring with lots of brown and ginger...the other is a more black and light dun with a bit of light gold/ginger...both of which I vastly prefer to the grizzly and brown spade hackle. I like the finer patterning on the pardo feathers for something like tailing.

That all being said, the CdL I use the most is actually a CdL hen saddle I picked up for cheap at a show a few years back (like seriously...I think I paid like $7 for an on-the-card Whiting CdL hen saddle). Totally different feather. Instead of fine and glassy, it's super thick, super webby, and absolutely ideal for all sorts of large trout & smallie patterns like helgrammites, bugger variants, and sculpin.

You can still buy the whiting CDL hen, it's $12.