Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Back from the San Juan River in New Mexico

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Patriot

Patriot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

I left on 18 JAN 2020 and arrived back home on 25 JAN 2020.  The weather was in the 20's in the early morning, but warmed up later on.  On Thursday, 23 JAN, the day was summer like.  I do not know the daytime temps because I was too busy fishing to care.  Wind was slight to non-existent.  Perfect, IOW's.

The river taught me a huge lesson:  big, ugly flies = big fish!!  I have always fished the tiny midges, etc but have NEVER used large flies on this river.  This revelation came about when I - just for the heck of it - tried an olive green 'matuka' that some nice lady gave me on my last trip to this river back in the fall of 2017.  A fish hit it hard and broke the 6x tippet.  Shock!   That night I tied three more similar ugly flies on #10 hooks that I've packed around for decades.  They were so old I had to use a diamond file to sharpen them.  The following day I lost two of those flies to break offs (same 6x Rio tippet material ...), but they refused to hit the fly which was adorned with grizzly feathers.  Picky rascals.  

I visited the local fly shop on my way out and purchase some black and olive rabbit zonker material and back to the tying bench I went.  I had never tied these before so I had some learning to do.  Anyway, I tied six or so and was good to go.

The next day I tried most of these flies, but it was the one pictured below that caught the biggest fish I have ever taken in my life.  It took 30 minutes or so to bring it to net.  My net is 18" in length and her tail stuck out quite a ways.  Needless to say, we were both beat.  The bow was fine when I released her, my arm was not.  I went back to the same location and hooked another fish nearly the same size, but she was not as spunky as the first.  I was grateful for that.  Shortly after that I realized I was completey fished out.  I was happy and ready to head back home to my family.  I do not think I have ever felt 'fished out', but I was.

The attached image is not that great, but it should give some idea of what this fly looks like.

Attached Files

#2 Patriot

Patriot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:35 PM

I had a heck of a time trying to attach my image.  Kept getting some Flash message which I was forced to select and then my post vanished.  Technology!!!!!!!!!

I switched over to FireFox and was finally able to upload the image.

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

Good story.  Congrats on a personal best.

No picture of the fish?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 Patriot

Patriot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:27 PM

Good story.  Congrats on a personal best.

No picture of the fish?

My hands are full when I'm landing a fish alone.  I would never think of dragging a beautiful trout to the bank for a photo.  My cousin told me I need to get a GoPro8, which I have ordered (ouch$$$) together with a chest strap.  I watched a video where some guy attached his GoPro to his fishing net handle.  I would have never thought of that.  The resultant video - above and below the water - was great.

I'm learning, I'm learning, ...

Thanks!

#5 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:20 PM

I had a heck of a time trying to attach my image.  Kept getting some Flash message which I was forced to select and then my post vanished.  Technology!!!!!!!!!

I switched over to FireFox and was finally able to upload the image.

I use firefox as my phone browser and can't use it to upload photos so I have use chrome.

#6 Patriot

Patriot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:53 PM

I use firefox as my phone browser and can't use it to upload photos so I have use chrome.

When I used FF to upload my image I had to select 'Use default loader' or something like that.  This took me to the uploader I was  used to seeing before.  I have not tried uploading an image since, but I will later today.

#7 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:38 PM

I don't take pictures of fish for a number of reasons: I know what fish look like, I've never looked at a fish picture I did take, The fish don't like it, and a good fish story is better without the proof. Glad you had a great trip and came back with a great memory that needs no picture.

#8 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

The best way to share a great experience is to show some pictures (or a video). I personally think any good story is better with pictures. I've never been there, don't know what the water looks like, what the landscape looks like, how rainbowy the rainbows are. It would be fun to know. No pressure though.

#9 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

Well said, Mark.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#10 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

I don't take pictures of fish for a number of reasons: I know what fish look like, I've never looked at a fish picture I did take, The fish don't like it, and a good fish story is better without the proof. Glad you had a great trip and came back with a great memory that needs no picture.

I'm in total agreement.  I generally don't even look at pictures of fish in trip reports, although I do like photos of the wate/scenery.

Bob