Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

First Bonefish!!

First off, SPECIAL thanks to Davin Ebanks of FishBones guide service in Grand Cayman. If your ever in the Caymans, book him and tell him Carson sent you. He is a person that I will never forget and even asked me if I could tie him flies!

Now on to the fishing, I arrived early as always and started blind casting a size 2 Schminnow. I had seen some 40 inchers (snook) I kid you not just cruise around the dock. So I hooked a 30incher but of course the hook pulled when he went into the dock. I have footage so I might make a video for YouTube. Ok good start, Davin arrives (I was so excited to meet him) and I ran to shake his hand. We went to the dock to scan the surroundings even though is was blowing 25 knots. "There" that's bonefish mon... Casually walks back (with bonefish I learned to be VERY patient and don't cast unless you see them clearly) ties on a barbless(very important!) Sparkplug fly, or more commonly known as the Strip Tease bonefish fly designed by Dick Brown. "There, can you reach them?". "I think so", I make a cast, far enough but too much to the left(remember the wind). Second cast, perfect right over the mud spot, strip strip strip , pull long sloooow(thank you Davin) he's tight. My fly line clears and there goes my drag. People who palm reels bonefish wise must be hungover, it's the whole point right? Anyways, after a fun fight we landed him(wade fishing, not a skiff). Landed the fish, a pound to pound and a half. Good to take the pressure off my back since that was my first bonefish and to land one early on was a good start. "Ok mon let's move with the wind", walk 50 yards... "Bonefish, there you see em?"... "Yeah" cast, good cast in front of the fish, strip strip stop stop stop strip strip refusal. One very good think about Davin is that he works very hard and is not lazy at all. If we had just one refusal, we changed the fly, rather he changed the fly. Also first thing, before the first bone, he adds some new tippet to what I thought was a perfectly fine leader. Ok now we're behind this big rock sharp thing, looking for these 2 hard tailing bonefish. I see um, make a good cast strip strip strip no love. Remember the rock pile I told you about, well there come 20 big yellow jacks charging and it looked like a wave it was amazing. "There make a cast, quick!". One false cast into the 20 knot wind strip tight tight screaming drag. The fish tried to break me off on the rocks but I fought it like a champ(or so I think I did). Bring him in after a fun fight, quick picture and back into the water. Man I have a new respect for jacks. Frayed up leader? No problem, 20 seconds later I had a new leader and a new fly! I gave my dad the "bow time" and he got to cast at some BIG tailers but no love. I run down the beach, I see some 8lb bones tailing hard, cast , strip strip strip nothing. Next cast, a frikin brick cast and I spook the whole school. Wow good job Carson you just spooked 10 3x backing bonefish, great job! Anyways Davin showed me a Lefty Kreh(thank God for Le... Mr. Kreh) method of silently casting. The bonefish cast he called it. Ok drive to a new spot, see some fish but no hook sets. Another stop, me and Davin sight casting into a white pool, strip strip strip strip long slooooow strip again long sloooow strip! "Yeah he's on " burning drag! I see Davin put his hands in the air, I could tell he was happy. After seeing my backing, he charged straight at me. I never knew that my hand could move that fast! Quick pictures , healthy release and off he goes. High fives all around! We spook some more fish, then head to a flat next to where I am staying. He showed me the correct version of the double haul and I was amazed. I was casting 50 feet with one false cast! Now, the worst part of the day... "Ok guys it's time" jump in his car and get out at the meeting point. Shared some more laughs then he kindly gave me some flies that I could try to model off of. Even worse part, the goodbyes. Shake hands, wish each other luck, the off to our places. I am certain that I will fish with him again since he visits MIA airport quite often. Ok ok I hope you guys aren't falling asleep at now, so now the good part, pictures!
Enjoy

http://fish-bones.com/

post-59033-0-39715500-1467944234_thumb.jpeg

Had me worried on that first picture...that's a funny looking bone. Then I saw the right one.

Thanks for sharing the blow by blow experience.

Yeah you had me going to .....that first pic aint no boney lolololo

Well done young man !! The holy grail of saltwater fishing ....some say !!

Good looking bones!

A bit late to this post but sounds like a ton of fun, bonefish is definitely on my hitlist. good work flats!

Sounds like you had an exciting first time out Carson. Davin is a good teacher. Keep it up!

Dick

I sure did! Davin was quite happy when I told him you said he was a good teacher. Now trying to figure out a bonefish adventure to Acklins Island!