Fly Tying
flytire

do you tie daily?

i'm usually up before the sun rises in the east, read and participate with my own mumbo jumbo on the various forums i frequent, search the web for fly patterns i might want to tie, practice a technique, watch a few youtube rock videos masquerading as fly tying and usually tie a fly or two :)

so do you tie daily?

Nope. Sometimes weekly but mostly every other week or so. When I do sit down/stand to tie i can only tie maybe 4 flies at the most. What I'll usually do is tie one or two in the morning then another one or two a few hours later and so on. Tying is to sediatary for me to do every day. Activities with little movement bore me quick and makes my back sore. I have to get up and do things. At this point my fly needs are few and I rarely tie new patterns since I have plenty of what works for me.

I have been in the daily tying mode for most of 50 years. There have been large gaps where I didn't tie at all, like when I returned to college, and started a new career. When things settled down, and I had time I would tie most days. Now retired, I tie every day, and try to crank out at least 6, but usually a dozen flies a day. With over 1000 Saltwater flies stocked up, I have now started to fill my trout fly boxes (the ones I have at home.) I have stockpiled at least 5000 freshwater patterns with my fishing buddy out west.

Tying flies allows me to focus on something I like and consider an artistic outlet rather than just a way to catch fish.

Almost every day. I tie for a few friends and sent flies every year to Reel Recovery and Casting for Recovery.

Also send some to folks I know who work with groups.

Lose a few flies every time I go out when try to cast close enough to an object that eats flies when trying to catch a fish.

Rick

Tie around 5 days a week, dye feathers twice a month. I also lose a few every time I go out like Rick. Look at materials too often thinking about applications, very fun! Nothing like a yellow humpy, yellow elk hair, yellow hackle, yellow thread.

No. I'd rather be fishing. I might tie if I am short of something or I want to experiment.

I tie to fish.
During the off-season that's a different story. Then I'm tying for the coming season and for my fishing buddies.
I give a lot of flies away because I love seeing other people having success.
But like drugs, the first ones are always free.

Kimo

Most every day. If/when I go fishing I usually don't. Unless of course there's something I need at the last minute. I'd say I usually tie 5 days out of seven.

I might tie, if I see a pattern on here that I think might be interesting or better than what I use to fish. Maybe once a month or so.

Other than that, I only tie when I am low on one of four or five favorite patterns. I hit the water with less than 6 different flies ... usually 6 of each. When I get to 3 or less, than it's time to tie another 6 flies.

So, I might go a month or more (depending on fishing trips) between sittings at the vise.

Nope not even close a few days a month typically often times it's just too get a swap done, I fish a lot of my swap flys so I rarely need to tie more than that. I used to ride more back when I first joined a few years ago, now days if I have the energy after work and a few hours watching kids I typically work on knives.