Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

10' 7wt steelhead rod

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:22 AM

Nice clean build for a customer out of the shop this morning. This one is a 10' 7wt 4pc for steelhead. Smokey burl cork grip & butt with some accents in it, dark green main wraps with metallic silver trim and burl wood reel seat round it out.

yVTelc.jpg
 mw6VLA.jpg
 xjm30K.jpg
 fyWuU2.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#2 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:35 PM

I really like this one.

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

mellow.png Mmmm mm mmm mmmm mmm m mmmmm mm mmmm mmm, mmm mmmmm.  dry.png

biggrin.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

Approval of 2 rods without blue in a row! I wonder if there are any members who could check on Mikechell in person and make sure he's ok.

#5 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:13 PM

Ah ... now I see. rolleyes.gif  You read "approval" in that line, but it could've been the opposite.  dry.png   You, sir, are a "pot-stirrer" !!!  laugh.png

Barbed hooks rule!

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:04 PM

I'm tellin' ya he's been hacked. Next thing you know we'll see him talking about ice fishing and snowmobiling.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:17 PM

Sweet steelhead rod -- reminds me I need to get out the one you built me last fall and take it fishing SOON! :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#8 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:19 PM

I saw Mike Ice fishing on Lake Harney just last week.

Seriously Steve these are two great looking rods.  In years past, I have built rods as part of my tackle service shop, but yours are superbe.  I started building rods in the 60s, and you know what that means psychedelic rainbow  wraps.   

Built a lot of rods early on with a 5 color rainbow thread from Herters.  Recently I took out my 29 year old Sage, and notice that the finish was cracking off some of the guides.  Dug into my old stock of thread and found two spools that I still had.  Did a complete re-wrap in a throwback to those early days.  Wouldn't say is up there with your work, but what the hell, now I am an amature.

Before:  Attached File  Sage RPLX 1.JPG   303.71KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Sage RPLX 2.JPG   177.06KB   0 downloads

After: Attached File  RPLX after.JPG   159.92KB   0 downloads 

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#9 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:39 PM

Nice rainbows, utyer.  That's some trick ... ice fishing on Harney.  Well, wait.  Since ice fishing, for me, is getting a cube out of a glass ... you might catch me doing that.  But I wasn't on Harney last week, I was freezing my patootie off in Chicago.

Now it looks like the weather won't be good for this weekend.

Just to prove this is me ... Is a "snow mobile" one of those things you hang at christmas?  The one with the cardboard snow flakes balancing each other in the warm breeze from the open window?

Barbed hooks rule!

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:52 PM

Okay I guess maybe it IS Mike then :)

Utyer...boy o' boy Herters, that's a name I haven't heard in many years!

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#11 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

Herters was THE place for fishing, camping and hunting supplies long before there was even a thought of an internet.  Catalogs were an inch thick.  Until 1970 when I started working in tackle stores, its where I got all my fly tying, and rod building supplies.  

Mike, a snow mobile is a cell phone that works in below zero 

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#12 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:20 AM

I saw Mike Ice fishing on Lake Harney just last week.

Seriously Steve these are two great looking rods.  In years past, I have built rods as part of my tackle service shop, but yours are superbe.  I started building rods in the 60s, and you know what that means psychedelic rainbow  wraps.   

Built a lot of rods early on with a 5 color rainbow thread from Herters.  Recently I took out my 29 year old Sage, and notice that the finish was cracking off some of the guides.  Dug into my old stock of thread and found two spools that I still had.  Did a complete re-wrap in a throwback to those early days.  Wouldn't say is up there with your work, but what the hell, now I am an amature.

Before:  attachicon.gif Sage RPLX 1.JPG

attachicon.gif Sage RPLX 2.JPG

After: attachicon.gif RPLX after.JPG

Tough to beat a Graphite III blank, it's worth the time spent to keep it up and running.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"