Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Some new style corks

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:26 PM

UQNOD9.jpg

First grip with a couple of new style corks now in stock and using. Really digging the new "storm burl" which is the dark cork with some white swirls in it. Has a pretty cool look.

This is a 10' 3wt which will be done and available for purchase for $135 very soon.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

i like the spotted ones at the reel seat and at the front

The fish care less than we do!

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

Norm that one is called Smokey burl, that's probably my favorite style as well.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,754 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

Hmmm  ... I like the dark corks ... but that "Storm Burl" is pretty cool looking!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:17 PM

I'm thinking an entire grip out of the storm burl might have a real neat look to it. Might give that a go soon.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#6 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:55 AM

I like those smokey burls best too. I also like the narrow dark rings, I could see those spaced with a narrow light ring on each side of a dark burl section ( I typically use a burnt burl a ring or two in from each end, the narrow rings would trim that well). But that's just me lol !  Be interesting to see a whole grip made of the storm Burl though.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

Norm that one is called Smokey burl, that's probably my favorite style as well.

i googled "smokey burl" and found other "burl" types of corks that i never knew existed. what a variety out there

#8 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

Yeah there's a ton of them out there. Sometimes you have to be careful though because some of them look good in pics but then when ya turn them they end up looking vastly different. Red burl is one of those. Looks red in pics, but once you glue it up and turn it, you end up with a pink grip. And having a 7" long pink object shaped like that on a rod is not something you want to be seen holding onto laugh.png laugh.png 

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#9 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

And having a 7" long pink object shaped like that on a rod is not something you want to be seen holding onto laugh.png laugh.png

on a rod

i'm glad you clarified that! :)

#10 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

steve 

do you have enough "smokey burl" rings that could be shown loosely stacked together (not glued or sanded) as a visual reference?

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

qQVLMp.jpg

Here ya go Norm.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#12 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

hmmm

that would make a nice handle to go with a nice fast/medium brown rod blank, brown thread wraps, double foot black nickel guides, wooly mammoth reel seat...........

sorry i was dreaming :)

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:46 PM

wooly mammoth reel seat.

ohmy.png laugh.png laugh.png

I prefer Sabertooth Tiger myself

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#14 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:07 PM

You could do a mammoth tusk or molar with a skeletonized real seat over the top like you do with the wood ones, the mammoth would probably be 100-200$ depending on quality and where you got it.

#15 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:23 PM

I'm digging the storm burl -- might have to build another rod soon so I can have you do me a grip with some of that in it! 

I notice you're building a lot of 10' 3 wt. rods lately -- is there a special application for those? Czech nymphing or something? 

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman