Fly Tying

One of our local waters is currently producing a may fly hatch. The fish will only take dry fly imitations of the fly. I made several but they are sinking. I've waxed the thread, used turkey points for wings, and grizzly for the collar. I use silver French tinsel for the rib and black dubbing for the body. I believe the dubbing is causing the fly to sink. I have squirrel tail, peacock heral, and bucktail that I could substitute for the dubbing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have the pattern down but I tie mostly wet flies and dry flies are fairly new to me.

In a previous post, you did say that you have deer hair. Google Comparadun fly pattern, and learn how to tie it. NO hackle required. Deer or elk hock will make the tail. Most people use synthetic material for the dubbing, but even that needs to have some fly floatant applied to it. Leave off the rib, and match the dubbing color to the underside of the fly you are trying to match.

post-12074-0-02164600-1526344755_thumb.jpg

I have learned that my early flies sunk because I was using too much dubbing. Watching a Kelly Gallop video, he showed how little dubbing is needed to make a noodle. The dubbing should be really (I mean REALLY) sparse, so if you take a clump of dubbing, and drop it, it should float downward, not drop. I will try to find the video and revisit this thread with a link. Also, synthetic dubbing will absorb much less water than natural furs.

I have learned that my early flies sunk because I was using too much dubbing. Watching a Kelly Gallop video, he showed how little dubbing is needed to make a noodle. The dubbing should be really (I mean REALLY) sparse, so if you take a clump of dubbing, and drop it, it should float downward, not drop. I will try to find the video and revisit this thread with a link. Also, synthetic dubbing will absorb much less water than natural furs.

15:50 into this video

Try a synthetic yarn (polypropylene stuff like Congo Hair, EP Fibers, macrame yarn, etc) for the wing; sub thin Flashabou or Krystal Flash for the rib; you didn't mention a tail - if it has one, use hackle fibers (ones without any web); cut down on the dubbing and thread wraps, use as many hackle wraps as you can.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks Noah, I was just going to post the link, but you beat me to it. Anyhow, knowing how much dubbing to use made a world of difference in not only how well my flies would float, but in their appearance also.

Thanks Noah, I was just going to post the link, but you beat me to it. Anyhow, knowing how much dubbing to use made a world of difference in not only how well my flies would float, but in their appearance also.

No problem, I have been tying these over the last couple of days and had the video open.

One of our local waters is currently producing a may fly hatch. The fish will only take dry fly imitations of the fly. I made several but they are sinking. I've waxed the thread, used turkey points for wings, and grizzly for the collar. I use silver French tinsel for the rib and black dubbing for the body. I believe the dubbing is causing the fly to sink. I have squirrel tail, peacock heral, and bucktail that I could substitute for the dubbing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have the pattern down but I tie mostly wet flies and dry flies are fairly new to me.

Tie a parachute version of the fly.

I'm not a fan of the synthetic dubbings. Have a box of super dry dubbing by hareline but you need to use it so thinly to make a difference. I prefer seal fur that traps tiny amounts of air. Air = lighter than water = floats. Mole fur works great for flies needing that iron blue gray shade.

Also like quill body which keeps weight down and profile slim.

Then lots of gink.

Thanks all for the input. I'm going to try deer hair for the wing. I do use synthetic dubbing for this particular fly and very sparce as the fly I'm imitating is small bodied. I am using goose biots for the tail. And the fish are quite particular at the moment due to the hatch. Thanks again for the input everyone. Much appreciated

Thanks all for the input. I'm going to try deer hair for the wing. I do use synthetic dubbing for this particular fly and very sparce as the fly I'm imitating is small bodied. I am using goose biots for the tail. And the fish are quite particular at the moment due to the hatch. Thanks again for the input everyone. Much appreciated

Goose biots for a dry fly tail. I know there are a few flies tied this way but it is unusual.