Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

cicadas

Yea it looks like the southern part of MI should get some. You better get yourself some of these wink.gif

user posted image

New Mexico is covered with cicadas. I have seen several sizes and colors here. One is 2 inches long including wings. The smaller ones are good for trout occasionally but nowhere near as good as they are on the Green in May. Yikes ... I can't wait!

Having not been a fisherman the last time these beasties came to town, I have a question. Can someone tell me how these react when they fall in the water? Do they buzz around until they can get free, are they pretty much stuck in the drink? Do they float high on the water or low? I'd like to play around with some patterns and I can find nothing on these questions.

Thanks!

Lunk:

I've watched the annual summer cicadas float for quite a distance. They float with the top half of the body out of the water if the wings are extend then they're flat on the surface. They tend to alternate between buzzing the wings and lying still on the surface.

Thanks Philly,

I have been trying to figure if it would be best to tie an imitation with the wings spread rather than folded. Sounds like the route to go.