Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Cased Caddis - Photos

This morning my father asked me to walk a small stream bed because he enjoys getting out and searching for indian arrowheads. The stream is almost completely dry but has a small seam of water that does run through it but does not hold any fish besides a few minnows. While walking the stream I looked at a rock that had a large population of cased caddis'. I snapped a few photos of what I found and seeing their cases made of sand and small pebbles was quite neat to see. I would guess that the caddis' were around a size 16(I'm not the best at sizing bugs).

I do know alot about caddis' so if anyone can fill me in to what type of caddis this is and any other useful info I would appreciate it.

user posted image

wow, to cool. love the pics smallie

now to get to work on some cased caddis for trout season

Okay, I'm gonna stick my neck out here. I'd say it's a member of the Limnephilidae Family! That narrows it down to 52 genera, and a few hundred species! LOL

Next!

j_k.gif I'm working on it! Can you give us a little more info? Water quality, habitat, geographic locality, and where, specifically on the rock were they? Were the cases dificult to crush? Are some of those particals larger rocks? like ballast stones?

Great pic!

polycentropus halidus

These insects spin Paraboloidal little tubes of slik threads to hold them between the rocks one of the most common Amrrican species of (Hydropsyche) Caddis

also known as Net builder Caddis.

OSD.

Airhead,

I found these is a small stream that runs through a valley that drains two hillsides in SW Ohio and flows into the Ohio River a couple of hundred yards from where I found them. The water was crystal clear and very cold(didn't get a temp). All of the ones that I found were in slow moving pools and were on top of large and fairly flat rocks. They were just hanging on with their little legs which I guess is the reason the were on rocks that were semi level which would decrease their chances of falling off. I didn't lift many rocks so I'm not sure how many I could have found under the rocks in the riffles.

I was impressed with the durability of their cases they were quite strong. It was almost impossible to just pull the caddis out because they would grasp onto the inside of the case with two hooks that are at the end of their body. You would tear them in two before you would coax them to slide out of that thing. Once I broke the case I could easily slide them out because they did have anything to hold onto.

Polycentropus is a member of the Polycentropodidae family. These net spinners DO NOT build cases. They spin either trumpet shaped nets, weave retreats among rocks or sticks, and one genus spins a tube in soft bottom sediments.

Hydropsyche (Spotted Sedge) is a genus in the Family Hydropsychidae. These net spinners also DO NOT build cases but they do build Pupal retreats next to there Larval nets on the rocks they inhabit.

This info is from the book Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine.

Will, I think they are Genus; Neophylax, Species; concinnus (formerly, N. Autumnus) a widespread genus of the Limnephilidae Family. Conncinnus, a relatively small species (adult 9-12mm) are well represented in the East, Upper Midwest and Mid-South. Neophylax (autumn mottled sedge) builds a thick, short case with larger stones along the sides ideally suited for life in the current. The insects move over the surfaces of midstream rocks scraping off diatoms and detritus. The Larvae are generally yellowish-brown.

Neophylax cocinnus, emerges in September. Over 90 percent of the pupae in a section of stream will emerge within a 3 week period, after a summer period of inactivity. During emergence large numbers of pupae are available to fish, and may trigger selective feeding where heavy populations are present.

The egg laying Patterns have been described from observations to range from pasting eggs on the underside of overhanging banks, to dropping them in the water after landing on sticks or wood protruding from the water. Neither of which exposed the adults to fish during egg laying.

Airhead,

That is some great information! The pic makes the caddis look a bright green but the actual bug does somewhat look like a brownish yellow color so I think you might be on to something.

My question is do fish actually target these caddis'? I'm sure their case camoflauges them quite well if they do get dislodged from their holding place but I have seen a few patterns that imitate them in these cases.

The Polycentropus Larvae are unigue net spinners. These Insects spin Paraboloedal little tubes of Silken Mesh and in turn suspend the tubes in alignment with the current using hundreds of silken threads to hold them between the rocks In a remarkably intricate Tensile-structure of subaquatic cobwebs.

These systems Both collect food and shelter the larvae.

(Polycentropus halidus and Polycentropus radiatus) re perhaps the most common American secies

Taken from Ernest Schwiebert's book NYMPHS.

OSD.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Neophylax

Smallie, a Light Cased Caddis pattern

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Sorry about the poor images, but I think you get the idea. smile.gif

OSD, When you said Polycentropus, I was in the process of doing the research. When I read Hydropsyche, I just had to dig deeper.

I'll bring Caddisflies along on the outing. I think you'll like it.

Will, don't you think it's time you took advantage of this months featured product on GCO? Caddisflies by Gary Lafontaine

Yes I looks like your most likely right the Neophylax more closely resembles the Larva will has in his hand but with over 1300 species of caddis in North America

It would be near imposable to Identify the correct sub specie

Net builder caddis larvae

tongue.gif

Yea I do need to get myself a copy of the book. Chasing mostly Smallmouth all of this entomology info has never really been needed. Since we began this new forum and the fact I may "try" for a few trout this year has me interested in learning more. Plus I have learned this bug stuff is quite fascinating

Great info guys headbang.gif