Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

International Fly Tying Symposium 2018

I Just received an email from IFTS and wanted to let all know that there is a change of venue for 2018. The show will be held the weekend before Thanksgiving (November 17 & 18, 2018) in Parsippany, NJ. The hotel is a Sheraton, and it looks like a castle! I'm definitely excited to see how this goes, as I had a great time tying at the 2017 Symposium.

Chuck Furimsky's quote from the email says it best: "Exhibit halls are for "commoners." Fly tiers are royalty and deserve a castle."

The show returns to New Jersey, and the email said that there is tons of free parking. Lancaster parking was...well you can figure it out. I'm looking forward to this change and have a feeling it will be packed.

If I hear more, I'll be sure to post here.

Tim

Good move. I think if it stay in Lancaster it would not have been successful.

Uh oh, another hotel venue. I hope there's decent lighting in this one unlike Lancaster. Well at least it's a lot closer so I'll be going. ....and I'm bringing my streamlight just in case.

That's good to hear. My saltwater club normally has a table at both shows. They didn't this year at the fly tying show because of the Lancaster location. I remember attending the show, I guess it was in Secaucus, 1997 through 1999. The next year(2000)it moved to Somerset to the hotel next to the exhibition center and then to the exhibition center as it got larger. So I guess it's going back to its roots. I still have this nagging memory of attending a "fly tying symposium" near Somerset, Pa. Hans Weilenmann was there along with other European tyers, plus a bunch US tyers. I'm pretty sure Chuck Furimsky was one of the organizers. Anybody out there tie in a show back then? I'm thinking early to mid-nineties.

That's good to hear. My saltwater club normally has a table at both shows. They didn't this year at the fly tying show because of the Lancaster location. I remember attending the show, I guess it was in Secaucus, 1997 through 1999. The next year(2000)it moved to Somerset to the hotel next to the exhibition center and then to the exhibition center as it got larger. So I guess it's going back to its roots. I still have this nagging memory of attending a "fly tying symposium" near Somerset, Pa. Hans Weilenmann was there along with other European tyers, plus a bunch US tyers. I'm pretty sure Chuck Furimsky was one of the organizers. Anybody out there tie in a show back then? I'm thinking early to mid-nineties.

The show in PA that you're talking about is called the Fly Tier's Reunion, and it still happens in Seven Springs, PA. It's a very low-key event, and there is no cost of admission. Last year, a few tiers came from abroad, and there were around 12 others tying. It's one evening and a lot of fun. When we get closer to the event (sometime this April I believe), I'll post more information here.

For the Symposium in 2018, I just got an email from Chuck who is pretty excited because of the new location. There is better lighting and it's closer to the Newark airport, thus he expects more of an international presence. He's already had interest from Sweden, France, Argentina, England, the Netherlands, Belgium, etc. He's also checking to see if Hans Weilenmann can return after being missing for so many years.

If I hear anything more, I'll let everyone here know...

TC

Besides finding a better place to have the show Chuck needs to find a way to attract more vendors selling fly tying material, I don't cant speak for other guys but of the 2 places within 60 miles of me that sell fly tying material are way over priced, so I wait till there is a show and buy what I need for the year.

The first time I went to a show I could not believe how many guys were selling necks, saddles, and other material in general, but now in the last 3 to 5 yrs. between NJ and the shows in Pa. I've had to resort to buying things on line, I would rather see it, feel it, talk to the dealer, know what I'm getting.

I don't need a new rod or reel and I sure cant afford to pay an outfitter to take me fishing, but there must be big money in it as every year for the last 4 or 5 years there are more and more guys selling them at the shows .

Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm sure some of it has to do with the cost of being an exhibitor or vendor at the show. I knew a rod builder from the FF@ list, Dave Lewis, who was at the show for several years, talking to him one year he told me this was going to be his last year because the cost of the space, plus travel and hotel room for him and his wife was more than whatever rods he sold or orders he got for rods. The fly shop I frequent here, The Sporting Gentleman, has had a booth at the Lancaster show the last couple of years, and they bring some fly tying materials, but mainly they bring high end items, rods, reels, fly lines, waders, etc. You have to move a lot of fly tying material to cover the cost of doing business at the show. Maybe tctrout can comment on this. I knew some local tyers who I saw every year at the show who quit coming because they said it wasn't worth the cost to tie at the show, for the few flies and materials they were able to sell on the side. I would guess that the tyers also have to pay for the space they occupy at the show. tctrout?

It is true that higher booth costs have pushed a lot of small retailers out and that's too bad because many of us attending the show are looking for variety .

I'm sure some of it has to do with the cost of being an exhibitor or vendor at the show. I knew a rod builder from the FF@ list, Dave Lewis, who was at the show for several years, talking to him one year he told me this was going to be his last year because the cost of the space, plus travel and hotel room for him and his wife was more than whatever rods he sold or orders he got for rods. The fly shop I frequent here, The Sporting Gentleman, has had a booth at the Lancaster show the last couple of years, and they bring some fly tying materials, but mainly they bring high end items, rods, reels, fly lines, waders, etc. You have to move a lot of fly tying material to cover the cost of doing business at the show. Maybe tctrout can comment on this. I knew some local tyers who I saw every year at the show who quit coming because they said it wasn't worth the cost to tie at the show, for the few flies and materials they were able to sell on the side. I would guess that the tyers also have to pay for the space they occupy at the show. tctrout?

Tiers tables are free if you are a non selling tier, last year 2017 selling tiers (flies, books, material) price ranged from $280 -1 stool or $300- 2 stools per table with 1 banquet ticket.

Thanks, cphubert. Good info to know. I'm going have to check with my club and see if it costs them anything to have a table at either show. For several years we've sold raffle tickets to help support CFR in South Jersey. There's always been several clubs or organizations selling chances or raffle tickets for various reasons/causes.

As mentioned after your post, Philly, there are different tiers of tables. Being that I don't sell flies, there is no cost for my table. Two tiers per 8' table, and my buddy and I have sat together over the last couple years. To tie at the Symposium at a table, Chuck asks for samples of your flies to ensure they are of a higher quality (I must have slipped past him on that one!). The draw for me to the IFTS is that there are so many tiers, and the types of patterns is almost overwhelming. It's a professional show, yet allows lots of time with others to connect and learn.

Regarding the vendors, you'd have to contact them to check. It seems certain vendors make more than others, and for some, having a presence at the IFTS is a part of the reason they attend yearly. I typically fill my "tying buying" list at the show because, like most here, I really prefer to see the materials before purchasing.

Moving to the new location (aside from being cool because it's a castle!) will definitely increase foot traffic, and I'm betting additional vendors will participate. That's a very populated area, nestled between some major cities, and will absolutely attract more people (and vendors). As I said before, I have heard that more international tiers are considering, and can't wait to see who makes it to the show.

I saw that on another post (http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=86677), Chuck Furimsky commented regarding the Edison Fly Fishing Show, and maybe he'll jump to this thread at some point. BTW, I was at the Edison Show and loved it. First year in a new location, and I can only see it improving...

Tim

I agree with Tim, I have attended The Tying Symposium and the Fly Fishing Show for a good number of years. I did not attend the 2017 in Lancaster due to travel. I really thought the Edison Fly Fishing Show was good and will only improve, would like the Tying Symposium to move there. I have been asked why I attend 3 shows a year (wife, work, and friends), Tying Symposium, Fly Fishing Show (Marlboro & New Jersey). It is a social event to meet friends, tiers, and vendors. It may be the only time in the year I socialize with and meet people. The venue is good the people are generally better, most like minded, would rather be fishing but without traveling to another hemisphere the fly fishing is slow this time of year.

I enjoy the symposium more than the fishing shows, vendors are somewhat different. More international presence, more idea's shared and I go to fill my material list and look for new ideas. I prefer to see what I am buying and ask questions about materials that I am unfamiliar with.

If you want to tie at the symposium contact Chuck or Ben via the website. You may want to find a partner to split the bill, stay together in a room for the weekend and sharing costs helps a lot. You can meet tiers and techniques from around the world or find they are in your backyard.