Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian.Vasies

Trout bug that never fails

Nice fly. It's very similar to my most effective and favorite trout nymph that I probably fish 80% of the time. Flies don't have to be complicated to be effective.

If the title of this thread is true I'll give up now. If it "never fails" then trout fishing has ceased to be a sport, and become just a harvest. I mean it is a great looking fly, and if you give the recipe I may tie a few. However, when you come up with something that "never fails" it destroys the challenge.

There is a story about an old gentleman angler who dies. He arrives at his final destination, to see it is his favourite pool on the chalk stream he always fished. There waiting for him is his ghillie with his favourite rod set up ready for him. The ghillie points out a fish rising and suggests the old man has a cast. The cast goes out perfectly, the fish rises, he hooks it, and lands it. The fish is a superb specimen, as good as any he caught while he was alive. He releases the fish. Then the ghillie points out that another is rising in the same spot. Again he casts to it, lands another equally as good a fish as his first one. This is great he thinks. A third fish is now rising where the previous two where. The old man looks at it, then turns to the ghillie and says,

"I'll leave that one, and try elsewhere."

"No sir." Replies the ghillie, "That is not permitted here."

"What I can't go to a different spot?" The old man asks.

"No sir." The ghillie states.

"Oh hell." Says the old man.

"Precisely sir." Says the Ghillie.

Not quite ready to go to hell just yet.

Cheers,

C.

Depends how you use it. I know when and how to use these kind of flies and I will catch fish. For example when the season starts I will go with this fly without any doubt. I will change it after 3 or 4th fish.I will try to use more specific fly or I will try to find a better fly for that moment of fishing.

If I will go on an unknown river I will start with these bugs.

I never had a blank day for more than 15 years, and this type of nymph saved my fishing days all the time.

Is a great all around trout nymph and is a perfect searching pattern. It is like Adams between dry flies.

I have a lot of models because I like to test and make new flies all the time. But this model has a special place in my box, gives me confidence and works all the time.

cheers

Thank you guys for your kind words It is a really simple fly to tie. The body is made of dubbing ( I use guard hair dubbing from hare mask mixed with squirrel or other spiky dubbing like cricetus dubbing). The thorax is made of the same dubbing but darker mixed with synthetic dubbing to increase the visibility and to give an extra "blink". I add also seal dubbing or something similar. You can ribb it with classic tinsel but I like to use flat pearl tinsel or round pearl tinsel. The round tinsel looks better and stay much better in this kind of dubbing and don't slip so easy over the body like flat tinsel.

Tied in dark color and light color and you will have a great all around trout nymph that will cover almost all spectrum colors of big aquatic bugs.

cheers

this is my never fail fly. It replaced the pheasant tail as my go to.

Love the dubbing on your fly though. looks great!!

post-43467-0-19530700-1496861512_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-60011700-1496861519_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-66147300-1496861523_thumb.jpg

Lucian, I thought it had seal dubbing in it. Which is impossible to get in the US. It's extra spiky and buggy looking. I've tried squirrel on other flies but it isn't long enough to get that spiky appearance.

I like it. Don't a whole lot of dubbed bodies these days I like to mix my own. Hair from a hare's mask, mixed with natural and artificial materials. But I'm like the guy in the story, mainly a dry fly fisherman. I have two go to flies. The CDC and Elk, Hans W. when he showed me how to tie it correctly guaranteed it would catch me fish. Which it has particularly here in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast. Midges are the other most common bug on most streams. I came up with my own pattern, I dubbed the Wissahickon Midge. Named after the local stream that I tied it for. Turned out to be very effective on the various streams throughout the area where there are midges, black flies and occasionally Tricos.

post-309-0-55235400-1496889006_thumb.jpg

Blane:

Body is a black and a red-brown CDC feather twisted together and wrapped and the wing is barbules stripped from a white CDC feather with one wrap of the twisted feathers in front of it with a black thread head. That one's tied on a size 20 TMC 2488