Fly Tying
atxdiscgolfer

Spanish Mackerel

Anybody ever target these? What weight rod did you use catching them in the surf? And what patterns work well, i am thinking that pinfish amd mullet patterns would work well since i have used those on spinning rod but i am very new to fly fishing the surf so any help would be appreciated.

I go for them on the flats where they are often feasting on glass minnows. Pretty much anything with flash will do the trick, especially clousers and surf candies. Cast out, lower the rod tip to the water or even submerge it, and strip like crazy. A two handed strip works real well if they are aggressive and want it even more fast than usual. You can't strip too fast, they'll catch it. Poppers also work well but in my experience seem to get broken off easier since more than one may strike at it and hit the leader. The water where I fish is often clear so I don't use wire leader.

One trick to avoid using wire and break offs, is to tie flies on long shank hooks (2xl or longer) and tie them a bit off the eye towards the bend so the shank ends up acting as a bite guard.

I use both poppers and long shanked Clousers for Mack's -but we're never surf fishing, and only fishing for them as targets once we've had a cut-off or two... In my area they're present year 'round but best in winter (along the salt coast of the Everglades).

The Clousers I hand my anglers are on Mustad #34011 hooks, size #1. They're simple, sparse, all white buck tail with very bright fluorescent thread (in red, fire orange, green, or yellow). I tie some with lead eyes, some with bead chain.

I need to do a dozen of them next week and I'll post photos ((they're also great for lady fish....

I've only caught them from a boat, and as opportunity allowed. Don't target them unless they show up while targeting other species as Capt Bob has said. They're often caught here by trolling small spoons. Primarily gold or silver (nickel) but sometimes other colors such as chartreuse or fl red works also. I've caught them on copper spoons too.

As Agn54 said, they like things moving fast and speed is usually more important than color. I've never found that fly pattern made much difference, as long as they can see it. Since they tend to tear up flies, I've tied simple patterns of primarily flash & have done so as Agn54 said on longer shank hooks & the materials tied towards the bend. Size 1 or 1/0 worked fine. Sometimes the flies need a bit of weight, sometimes they don't. Since it's too easy to lose a lot of flies I tend to use cheaper hooks too, like E.C. 066 style nickel plated hooks instead of better & higher cost stainless hooks. Eagle Claw actually makes that hook in both nickel plated & stainless, and it's a good hook for other tying purposes too.

Here's the type of flies I generally use, except as stated on long shank saltwater type hooks: Flash with a bright colored collar seems to work fine. I also tie with bright colored threads (Danville Flat Nylon in fluorescent colors.) Try some different color flash materials too, as they will sometimes show preferences for one over the other.

http://www.riverbum.com/Flash-Fly-Silver/

Yes, they'll strike a lot of fly patterns, but IMO they're like catching Bluefish. Both fish tear up flies but aren't usually particular so simple patterns that can be tied fast are what I prefer. wink.png

I've caught them on an 8 without much trouble, but for here I would prefer a heavier rod if I was targeting them specifically. As I said they're most often caught from a boat, and out on the Chesapeake Bay wind can be a major issue, so the heavier rods allow better casting distance. Plus, there's the possibility of other, bigger fish being hooked.

Otherwise, an 8 should be OK since the flies used are not necessarily big or heavy.

Caught my first Spanish on a #9 casting to a big surf cruising snook with probably a schminnow. Cast behind some rocks to bring the fly in front of the snook & didn't even see the mackerel behind the rocks take it & get into the backing in the blink of an eye. Ended up tying crease flies for catching them from a boat close to the beach when they run as that's what the boating fly fishers were primarily using.