Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Northern California July 9-13: Recommendations

I'm traveling and will be in Dunsmuir, California July 9-13 with nothing much to do but fish and maybe tie flies in between. My plan had been to fish the upper sac and the mccloud. Wading not boating.

However, I've got a future son-in-law in Garberville I'd like to meet up with for a visit. He can drive out to me in or near Dunsmuir if necessary, but I wouldn't mind changing my plans for Dunsmuir if there is decent enough fly fishing closer to Garberville.

I'm only a little familiar with the area -- and only really around Dunsmuir.

As best I can tell, the Upper Trinity at Lewiston would be closer to him, but I'm seeing reports that the dam will be fluctuating too much for fishing until August. There are also creeks and rivers near Garberville that I've never heard of (Eel, Mud) which might have fishing that time of year, I don't know.

If anyone's had some experience flyfishing that area in early to mid-July, please chime in with any recommendations you might have.

@vicente

That would be great, although if it's the Fly Shop in Redding I've already been in contact and will be calling them again. My daughter is going to be in their Fish Camp that week.

Seriously doubt a guide is going to have much to add. Coastal rivers are a winter fishery. You're right, the Trinity will probably be raging at Lewiston, but Upper Trinity (i.e. above Trinity Lake) should fish, although I've never hit it that time of year. McCloud and Upper Sac. are probably your best bets.