Fly Tying

Desk Control

(Submitted by Celebrity "Tip of the Day" Contributor, John D. Pondfisher)

One method that works for me, to control the mess created while tying, is to hang a plastic grocery bag on the stem of the vice, pull the bag over the edge of the table and open it up. The open bag provides a convenient place to drop your cuttings; if you cut and comb deer hair or similar materials over the bag, it really cuts down on your clean-up.

And, when you're done tying, into the trash can goes the whole mess!

Thanks, John! biggrin.gif

I could defiently use some tips on keeping my area clean and organized blink.gif . That's a good tip, my wife will be happy.

I use the plastic bag too but I took a metal coat hanger and straightened it out and wrapped each end around the stem of my vise to make a loop then put the stem of my vise through both and then bent the coat hanger in the shape of a square and put the bag through it. Saved me the money on buying a material scrap bag.

You don't have to have a square one whatever works best for you.

Fatman

Here's a trash control method that I learned from watching Al Troth tie. He puts a towel on his lap. The towel collects the tying scraps.

He gets rid of the scraps by shaking the towel outside.

That's what I do too now, having gone to school on Al.

-- Paul

QUOTE (osprey @ Feb 22 2004, 01:39 PM)
Here's a trash control method that I learned from watching Al Troth tie. He puts a towel on his lap. The towel collects the tying scraps.

He gets rid of the scraps by shaking the towel outside.

That's what I do too now, having gone to school on Al.

-- Paul

Thank you Osprey, thumbsup.gif

I tried your suggestion and I liked it and needless to say, so did my Wife. wink.gif

I was even able to clean up my bench a bit and now it looks more organized. ohmy.gif

I used the c clamp that came with a c heap vice tht i bought for my daughter and a coat hanger to hang my garbage bag on the edge of my desk, and I got a cheap apron from the cooking store for a lap cover and to catch the trimmings (the big pockets on the front catch trimmings when yo stand up too fast or forget to grab the bottom to take outside for a shake) bothe help on the neatness of the floor but I use a p;astic cutting mat under my vice to catch epoxy and cut on without messing up the oak desk top

You know, when I first started frequeting this site, I was really impressed by everyone's flies, tips and tricks, and so on, BUT THIS IS THE LAST STRAW - giving hints on how to keep your bench clean! C'mon guys!

Day5....reminds me of a song....

Take this gasoline tin

Head up high, walk like a winner

Let the bare feet be the last sounds that they hear

good luck "cleaning" your desk. PLEASE take pictures!!!

"A clean desk is like the Universe, taking a deep breath before plunging once again into the continuum." Sorry guys, Scotch makes me philisophical. :huh:

ive thought of trying an inflated party balloon and using the static to pick up the scraps... however this was months ago and im just now remembering it. so if anyone has some party balloons and wouldnt mind being the guinea pig go for it! :headbang:

Actually if you line something with a kitchen catcher, the static charge will attract most of the free flaoting fibers right to it. :)