Fly Tying
Gunnison_Country

Good Day on the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River

I was able to get away from the grind yesterday to my favorite Colorado troutstream...the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River near Lake City. The river was a bit higher than I like at 418 cfs, which made the river difficult to cross in certain sections, but was colored Gunny Green, which is just perfect. The river was uncharacteristically uncrowded for a Friday during the summer and I was able to fish Thomas Ranch, Big Eddy, Big Bend, High Bridge and at the confluence with Henson Creek in Lake City.

69050-gunnison_country-albums-fly-fishin

I simply love to nymph, and used a #10 brown/black Pat's Rubberlegs with a #16 Prince Nymph trailer all day long...never had to change. My son used a Parachute Adams all day long and probably outfished me, although I hooked up on more big fish as would be expected utilizing nymphs. We landed several dozen fish, with the biggest fish being a 17" 'bow, but I got broke off on bigger fish more times than I'd care to admit. In fairness to me, I ran out of 4x tippit and had to settle for 5x, which is a little wimpy for this river. All in all, other than losing several good fish, it was a great day on a great river.

69050-gunnison_country-albums-fly-fishin

Nice, I almost had a chance to fish the Gunnison when I was there but couldn't make it. Fished the Big Thompson, Arkansas, and the Fall river. First time trout fishing so I just got some 5x... also lost too many big ones than I wanted to admit. Sounds like you had a good trip

Beautiful fish, beautiful river, beautiful country. I got to fish some feeder creeks to the Roaring Fork near Carbondale a couple of years ago and was in heaven. My kids did a day with a guide on the Fork. Can't wait to come back and try more CO rivers.

Red Bridge has some really quality water but the best water on the Lake Fork is either Thomas Ranch or High Bridge. If you get to the river early enough and secure one or the other, you can basically fish that water all day. I'll be practicing what I preach next weekend...can't wait.

Red Bridge has some really quality water but the best water on the Lake Fork is either Thomas Ranch or High Bridge. If you get to the river early enough and secure one or the other, you can basically fish that water all day. I'll be practicing what I preach next weekend...can't wait.

Thanks for the tip. High Bridge sounds familiar.