Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ron1697

Ice Jig Shrimp Feedback

Hi everyone!

I have been working on making a tungsten ice fishing jig that resembles a small freshwater shrimp. Here is one of my first tries. It is a 4.6mm tungsten bead on a #12 jig hook, gray dubbed body with FL shell pink ice dub over the top, then I have a "scud back" of Ziploc bag covered with thick epoxy, the tail/antennae is mallard flank.

I think the color is a little too much pink for my liking, wish I could see more gray. Otherwise I think it turned out decent. I am looking for feedback on how to improve my design. Thanks in advance.

post-63390-0-86879400-1535544808_thumb.jpg

Looks good except for one detail. I don't think scuds or shrimp swim upside down. Since you're using a jig hook with the upturned eye, it's going to hang in the water just the way you've photographed it ... legs up and back down.

The fish might not mind ...

mikechell, Thanks for the input. Maybe the fish will think it's a dying shrimp??? Your guess is as good as mine. Thanks for the input!

Thanks flytire, but I don't think it would be worth the energy to flip my pattern around on the hook.

I'm aware, I'm just stating that it would not be worth my efforts in order to get the right orientation per the video.

You could tie another with the opposite orientation.

Then as an experiment fish them, and see which one the fish like.

Might be like eating a burger.. right side up or upside down.

To me it tastes good either way.

great looking fly, but being in the deep south my ice fishing experience is limited

Since it most likely will not be fished in moving water it will be fished upside down through a hole. Since your not concerned about it being upside down I would not be concerned if it's to pink. Neither would bother me. The only thing I would do is tip it with a wax worm.

Maybe if you add an X to each side of the jig head, the fish will know it represents a dead shrimp.

Seriously, I wouldn't change a thing. If the dubbing seems too stiff when it's wet, I use the "after-shaft" feather from pheasant rump feathers and wrap it where your dubbing is. The shaft is relatively strong, the fibers are 1/4-3/8" long and consistent down the shaft which is an inch or so long. The fibers are very soft like marabou. If you want, you can rib with fine gold or silver wire to add durability and a wee bit of flash.

Also, the only time I would add a wax worm is if the fish wouldn't take it right away. I have been moving towards micro plastics and flies for the past several years. Once fish are biting, I rarely use meat.

Also, after trial and error, all my ice flies ride with the hook horizontal like your jig. Increase your catch rate significantly.