Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

mayfly hatch

Probably would've been useless to be out there then. SO many real flies, no matter how good your presentation, it would've been ignored.

Probably would've been useless to be out there then.

...and a little creepy. I love a good hatch as much as the next guy, but there's a line...

Yeah, when you can't inhale without drawing several in with your breath, it would get downright panic inducing.

I've never been out when they were as thick as in that picture, but I did once see a Hex spinner flight on the Pere Marquette when I could hear the bugs coming before I saw them. It sounded like very distant, muted applause. They were flying straight upstream, ly thousands of them en masse -- it looked like a second river hovering over the one I was standing in, except glowing silver-white. When I cast my imitation, I could hear the fly go tick-tick-tick-tick as it collided with their bodies. They were so thick I couldn't cast without hitting some. I only cast a couple of times, as none were falling on the water yet and no fish were rising. I finally gave up and went to sleep in my van. The next morning, a couple of guys told me that the spinner fall had come on around 3 a.m., and the river had boiled with huge browns rising. Naturally...:)

Lake Monroe, north of Sanford, Florida. The "blind mosquito" midges are almost like that. If you're on the water, the buzzing is all around you. Looking at the lights of Sanford is like looking through a fog. Sanford installed a pontoon float in the lake with very bright lights in an attempt to draw them away from the city.

Since I haven't seen it on in quite a while, either it didn't work, or the hatches haven't been as bad.