Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Washington Fly Fishing

6 replies to this topic

#1 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

Most of you guys here dont know me since I most more in the Salt threads, but we are considering a trip to Washington in the summer. What would be our best bet in the summer, I dont think steelhead are available but of course we have those on our #1 list. Interested to hear what you guys think, please respond!

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#2 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:40 AM

Where in Washington State are you headed?  There is a wide variety of fishing available all over the state.  There is summer steelhead fishing going on now in the Columbia tributaries.  I suggest you contact fly fishing stores in the area where you are headed.  If you are going to Seattle check in with Patrick's Fly Shop patricksflyshop.com

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#3 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

I looked at the Klickitat river since it has big steelhead as well as Chinook salmon. I don't know what I'm looking for obviously, but the Klickitat made a good first impression. Also the lodge I looked at was the Reds fly shop lodge, which looked nice, but a little too nice for my tasting

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#4 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

If you are looking in that area I think I would suggest the area around Longview/Kelso.  Many more rivers within driving distance and motels at reasonable prices.  The Cowlitz is one of the top Steelhead rivers on the West Coast.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#5 Lost Coast

Lost Coast

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:49 AM

If you are looking in that area I think I would suggest the area around Longview/Kelso.  Many more rivers within driving distance and motels at reasonable prices.  The Cowlitz is one of the top Steelhead rivers on the West Coast.

I am way to late to the game here, but ditto on the Cowlitz.  A lot of good swinging water from the hatchery down.  However, expect a lot of company. 

The Kalama is a good bet, too!  The fish are very receptive to the bug patterns.

Most of the Columbia tribs (eastside of the mountains) will probably be closed

If the Skykomish is open for summer runs...

#6 carpflyguy

carpflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:53 AM

Columbia River and tributaries for carp. Most fun fishing you can have

#7 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members