Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Salmon on a dry fly

10 replies to this topic

#1 salarfishing

salarfishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

Hi all, wanted to share a video of  an Atlantic salmon I caught earlier this week on a dry fly.  One rises for the fly, and a bit later, another one connects...  Too much fun!  Tight lines

https://youtu.be/v7ma2xAEqYM

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

Awesome catch, love it !

John 8:29 KJV   And he that sent me is with me: the Father has not left me alone;

#3 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

Looks like a blast!  Nice video.

#4 despatiesim

despatiesim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

Sweet! I'm sure I would have pulled it away from him!
Thanks for sharing!

#5 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

That was awesome!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret.

#6 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

You luck so & so... That looks like you had a GREAT day.

#7 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:25 PM

You luck so & so... That looks like you had a GREAT day.

The video charges up my sensory system, I can smell the clean water and salmon oil . And this year we aren't traveling to salmon country, dang !

John 8:29 KJV   And he that sent me is with me: the Father has not left me alone;

#8 Wullie Gunn

Wullie Gunn

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

Fantastic fishing ,the dry fly does not work on the rivers in my part of Scotland worst luck

#9 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

Now there is a video I'd have loved to go on a lot farther. Would love to have the take, the play, the landing, the release. Just from the jump we know it was a good fish and you're lucky to have gotten a chance to enjoy that trip.

#10 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

Awesome! What was the fly? On camera it looked like a very large pattern.

#11 salarfishing

salarfishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

Hi Joseph, thanks. I don't remember exactly what took that fish, but nothing too large. Probably a #2 or #4 brown, blue, or crevette (shrimp) colored fly.

Thanks

Hi Vic, I have more of this video, but I'm pretty sure a few good cuss words slipped out, so cut it short... :). Fish was about 14lbs.

Willie Gunn...I fish dry fly a lot in eastern Canada when the water goes over approximately 60 degrees fahrenheit. That particular pool is dry fly heaven... water moves just right. Make your way to this part of the world sometime! Message me if you ever decide too, I'll fill you in on some great places to go.

Reply to this topic