Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Silver Grey

13 replies to this topic

#1 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

IMG_2692-1024x768.jpg

IMG_2702-1024x768.jpg

Winter is coming closer, weekends of tying flies and time to focus on classic for fishing. A good weekend with good food and silver grey as main focus.

#2 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

Really nice!

#3 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

Really nice!

Thanks!

#4 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:26 PM

Beautiful flies! wub.png

#5 Mlandry

Mlandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

Striking is the first word that comes to mind.

Mike

#6 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

Eide, what do you do with those after you tie them. Do they go to friends for display? Sell them? Surely you cannot put that much work into those objects of beauty and then throw them in the water where they would get all wet and worse yet may get chewed up by some sea creature. In jest I ask but in truth I wonder.

Nick

#7 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:00 AM

Eide, what do you do with those after you tie them. Do they go to friends for display? Sell them? Surely you cannot put that much work into those objects of beauty and then throw them in the water where they would get all wet and worse yet may get chewed up by some sea creature. In jest I ask but in truth I wonder.

Nick

These are all for fishing purpose :) Nothing like the feeling of putting on one of these, then swing for atlantic salmon in rivers on the Norwegian westcoast! I do spend some time on them, but this is also about learning the craft and the history of these patterns.

I have some friends that get one every now and then (for fishing!), but I have started looking into framing and doing some proper work on them, but first I'll focus on getting some good fishing flies done.

#8 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:01 AM

2016.10.01.silver_grey-1024x768.jpg

Here is one that I'm quite happy with, not framing quality, but the proportions are getting better.

#9 Mlandry

Mlandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

I would put that in a frame in a heartbeat.

Mike

#10 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Eide, two questions:

What vise is the one in the fist picture?

And, how are today's materials affecting this type of classic fly tying? Are today's patterns better than the ones from the old days, just because of the quality of materials available through genetics, farming, etc...?
Bimini15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, when it is real quiet on the water, I can almost hear the fish laughing...

#11 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,750 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

Bimini the main trouble is sourcing the authetic feathers as many are now protected or extinct.
Dyed pheasant is used as a cock of the rocks sub for example.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#12 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

Did not realize that. That's how much I know about this...
Bimini15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, when it is real quiet on the water, I can almost hear the fish laughing...

#13 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:31 AM

Eide, two questions:

What vise is the one in the fist picture?

And, how are today's materials affecting this type of classic fly tying? Are today's patterns better than the ones from the old days, just because of the quality of materials available through genetics, farming, etc...?

Vise is this one: http://www.artisticf...RELLI_VISE.html

It can be trouble sourcing material, as mentioned above, but there are substitutes, and material can be bought. The problem often is getting quality material (swan/GP/hackle and so on)

Are todays patterns better? Well, I got my first (proper) salmon this year, and it was on a tied-in-hand durham ranger, not a modern-day tube: but that doesn't have to make it better than todays patterns, but I like fishing and tying the classics because of the history and the craftsmanship that goes into it. Nothing like the good feeling of putting on a Silver Grey or a Durham Ranger and swing after salmon biggrin.png

#14 Micke.H

Micke.H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

Great tying there, looks fantasticrockon.gif

Tight lines

And happy tying

Micke

Reply to this topic