Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Green Highlander

13 replies to this topic

#1 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

2016.10.09.green_highlander-1024x768.jpg

Green Highlander
Mustad 80500BL #2/0 - http://flyhooks.org/mustad/80500bl

#2 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

Eide,

Beautiful tie as always. I do not believe you could tie a shabby looking fly if you tried.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#3 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:01 PM

Man that is pretty!

#4 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:22 PM

That is a work of art! No way I'd dunk that thing in the water

#5 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

Oh, how i envy your talent in getting the topping to meet sooooo well with the tailing. How you split the married wing with the pheasant is REALLY cool and not normal, but you make it look right. You have more talent than i can hope to get to. But, Why did you start the tag so far forward? It gives the fly a lop sided look. Everything i was taught says to start just above the barb. Is there a reason i haven't learned for pushing forward?

BTW Your head is a work of art also. I know you know more than i, so PLEASE see this as a question for my own research and NOT a criticism of this fly. You OBVIOUSLY planned it out this way i just don't don't understand why.

Or is it because the Golden crest couldn't reach to the barb???

#6 despatiesim

despatiesim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

Beautifull Eide! I truly love looking at your ties! Please keep sharing.

Simon

#7 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

DrVette, my vote is so it fits the available crest feathers. I gave up with my attempts on the classic flies for several reasons but one being I was buying 5 heads to find one or two flies worth of crest feathers. The small feathers and very long feathers are so hard to find in the quality you want.

Lovely fly Eide but when are we going to see some silver?? Out seasons done now and I need to see some Norwegian beasts.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#8 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:39 PM

Oh, how i envy your talent in getting the topping to meet sooooo well with the tailing. How you split the married wing with the pheasant is REALLY cool and not normal, but you make it look right. You have more talent than i can hope to get to. But, Why did you start the tag so far forward? It gives the fly a lop sided look. Everything i was taught says to start just above the barb. Is there a reason i haven't learned for pushing forward?

BTW Your head is a work of art also. I know you know more than i, so PLEASE see this as a question for my own research and NOT a criticism of this fly. You OBVIOUSLY planned it out this way i just don't don't understand why.

Yes, I would have liked it a little bit further back, changing to next one :) Still fishable though

DrVette, my vote is so it fits the available crest feathers. I gave up with my attempts on the classic flies for several reasons but one being I was buying 5 heads to find one or two flies worth of crest feathers. The small feathers and very long feathers are so hard to find in the quality you want.

Lovely fly Eide but when are we going to see some silver?? Out seasons done now and I need to see some Norwegian beasts.

tail.jpg

Got this one on a tied-in-hand Durham Ranger just a couple of days before the season ended

#9 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

Ooooh that looks like that was a stonker. Catch that in spring and you'll see the backing a few times.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#10 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

Yes, I would have liked it a little bit further back, changing to next one smile.png Still fishable though

tail.jpg

Got this one on a tied-in-hand Durham Ranger just a couple of days before the season ended

Seriously, You are going to fish with that fly? You are killing me me with just thinking about it.

I have yet to have a real classic salmon fly in my hands to examine, and you, you are going going to swing this to the water??? My heart isn't that strong man.

#11 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:31 AM

Seriously, You are going to fish with that fly? You are killing me me with just thinking about it.

I have yet to have a real classic salmon fly in my hands to examine, and you, you are going going to swing this to the water??? My heart isn't that strong man.

Yes, this is for fishing :) Going to spend the winter tying up some classics (like this) for fishing, once you get the hang of tying in the wing it isn't that hard ;)

#12 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:59 AM

You are going to need a bigger smoker... :)
Bimini15

#13 eide

eide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

You are going to need a bigger smoker... smile.png

I need one smoker ;)

#14 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry