Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rstaight

Gitfiddle

I started playing guitar when I was about 10. Be 60 in a couple of months (dang). All but put them down in the early 80's. Would pick up one once in a blue moon.

In 2007 we were on a small music store that sold Indiana guitars. I looked at one and bought it. Was a decent instrument for the price.

Still didn't play much. A couple of months ago we were in the same shop and looked at one with a cut out body. Told my wife that would be nice to have because I didn't have one like it.

That got me to playing regularly again. Last month I picked up a Takamine 12 string. Always wanted a 12 string but I never picked one up that played like this one.

I told my wife that I bought the guitar I was talking about. Now, any of you guys who are married know the look. This was stronger than normal. I thought oh crap.

She went into the spare bedroom and pulled a box out from under the bed. Pushed it over and said Merry Christmas. Said I would take the 12 string back and she said keep them both.

Pictured are the 3 acoustic guitars I am playing now. The one on the right is an Indiana Scout. The one on the left is an Indiana Madison, the Christmas gift. The one in the middle is the 12 string Takamine.

Just need to find some folks to play country or blue grass.

post-57765-0-34874700-1544559926_thumb.jpg

I'm looking at an Ibenez artwood guitar sitting in the corner of my living room. Been trying to learn to play it for years but I just can't seem to do it. Might have something to do with my total lack of rhythm I don't know. I do know a 12 string is completely out of the question. Enjoy all three.

Used to give lessons years ago. I always tell people you only need to satisfy yourself.

Take some lessons and learn to read music. Learning that will help with rhythm enough to be at least adequate and provide the enjoyment.

I have played the guitar, accordian, organ and piano poorly in the past. My problem is I am totally tone deaf. When playing in a little throw together group at the local pub I'd have to follow the other guys to change chords to simple country songs since I could hear the chord change but not know where it went. Country was fairly easy since it seldom used more than a few basic chords. With keyed instruments I'd have to either have the music in front of me or memorize the song. Again, only knew to make changes since they were listed on the sheet music. Polkas came fairly easy and were a lot like old country with few changes. People who could hear a song and then play it always amazed me. I had a friend who could listen to a note and tell you what it was. He could give you perfect pitch like a damn tuner or whatever they were called. Love music but wish I'd have been born with an ear for it and a voice that didn't either scare people or crack them up.

Even being tone deaf I bet you had a good time. That, is what it's all about.

I have seen adequate or less then adequate players make a career out of music.

I have also heard some awesome players that never get the opportunity.

Keep at it. The biggest mistake I ever made was to not take the opportunity to play country and bluegrass professionally. Had I done that I would have not set the guitar down like it did. I would be a much better player today. It is going to take some time to get back where I was.

Just keep playing.

Beautiful instruments (all three) congratulations and enjoy!

I took a few lessons when I was a teenager, but they weren't very good. Never learned to read music. Learned to (sort of) read tabs, but that's not even close to the real thing. Tried to self-teach a few times, but never could see the point of learning to play for no one but myself, especially since I can't sing either. I have a cheap but decently playable Yamaha that I'll pick it up once in a while, plunk out (badly) the few chords and snippets of songs that I know, then it starts gathering dust again. Keep wanting to sell it (the sight of it sitting there makes me feel guilty), but my wife won't let me for some reason.

Enjoy that 12-string--they make (to my ear) one of the most beautiful sounds in the world. :)

I play just about every instrument known to man. I've been practicing and learning new instruments with every song I hear. I have a warehouse full of all the instruments, and I spend time playing each one as often as I can.

I do have a favorite manufacturer ... and they, fortunately, make all the instruments I've ever wanted, even one-off experimental electronic gadget models.

Anybody guess my favorite manufacturer ??

"Air Instruments, Inc., Ltd., LLC, PA, MD, etc."

Enjoy that 12-string--they make (to my ear) one of the most beautiful sounds in the world. :)

Totally agree about the sound of a 12-string. They have a beautiful sound with the wright song. They sound even better when using a capo.

It's amazing how many popular songs were done on a 12-string. Two that come to mind are Wanted Dead or Alive and Hotel California.

Oh yeah, keep playing, nothing wrong with that Yamaha.