Fly Tying
Herbbr

3/8” vise inserts

Looking for some sources for 3/8 vise inserts and/or vise risers to make some bases as holiday gifts.

Other than Peak, are there suggestions that anyone may have. Thanks for the help.

This pedestal base from Bass Pro is only $20.00. If all you need is stem holder, it might be the cheapest way to get them. I've had one of the bases, and the holder is still working after a decade or more.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pedestal-base

A stem holder from Wolff Indiana is $23.98.

https://www.wolffindustries.com/media/pdf/online_catalogs/Fly_fishing_vise_catalog_Jan_2016.pdf

Fishinguy

Your link does not work

Remove the space between http and :// to make your link work

I don't think the the part in the link would work as a standoff to support a vise stem unless it's weld to a block of steel

Is a riser even needed?

s-l225.jpg

Fishinguy

Your link does not work

Remove the space between http and :// to make your link work

I don't think the the part in the link would work as a standoff to support a vise stem unless it's weld to a block of steel

Fixed. Hard for me to say without knowing the design of the base they're making.

For decades I've used an oak board as the base for my vise with an inexpensive mount for the vise post that used to be commonly seen in fly shops.

It is made of a solid metal shaft hollowed at one end to accept the vise post with a set screw on the side to hold the post in position. At the the other end, the shaft is threaded to accept a flat point screw. You countersink the screw into the reverse side of the oak board and then screw the tube onto the exposed point on board's surface area. By adding wood blocks to the surface and deepening the countersunk hole, you can make the vise ride as high as you want. And it breaks down for travel in a NY minute.

Rocco

Herbbr,

I have had great success with brass threaded inserts for 1/4-20 and brass bolts if your base/stand is wood, hard wood is best

ie: maple, oak, bois d'arc etc

The inserts are available at at wood shop supply or Ace, True Value etc. as are Solid brass closet bolts (2/pkg) are 1/4-20 thread

solid brass bolts won't scar the stem. The bolt can be cut to length easily and then a black hard nylon handle (Ace again) can be threaded onto the bolt for tightening/loosening.

I have several of these over the years for different variations on my tying cabinet. My vise base is removeable so I can close and my cabinet when not in use. The picture shows the latest version, the two brass finger screws lower center go through brass inserts to anchor it in place. The SS stem left of the vice base is the vise extension stem which is anchored into the base with the same hardware.

I also use them on the maple rod holder (2nd pic) for rob building so they break down into a stowable package.

Charlie

lahHsHh.jpg

HhE40AF.jpg

I have a cedar base. I found a square nut that fit the threads on the lovevthat connects my vice to the pedestal, drilled a hole in the cedar round, squared it out with a chisel, and expoxied that nut in there. Works like a charm.

Why wouldn't a piece of pipe 3/8" ID work? You'd have to thread the bottom end and insert a horizontal lock screw, but overall, it wouldn't cost much in materials.