Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

RBF: trouble wrapping guides

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 RBF Staff

RBF Staff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

So I spent quite a bit of money on good rod components. Everything arrived in time for a me to be able to complete building a fly rod in time for a nice week long fishing trip I have coming up at the end of this week (or so I thought).
I'm really having trouble completing wrapping the guides on the tip half of the two piece blank. I'd get quite a few on only to knock one off in the middle because it was hitting the wrapper jig upright while I was spinning on a new one. I have at least two do-overs now on every guide and finally I lost a guide when it came off unnoticed. The new rod won't be going with me. I had to reorder a guide.
Is it me or does wrapping the guides get exponentially more difficult as you approach the tip?

A few of the problems:
1. Difficulty temporarily mounting the snake guide with tape keeping it in alignment. (Is there anyway to hold a snake guide in alignment -they are such a weird shape)
2. At the start of a wrap the thread slips due to reduced surface contact as the rod diameter decreases.
3. The whip finish loop seems to overpower everything else in size and gets difficult to manage.
4. The smaller diameter rod won't stay put and wants to spin in the jig loosening the thread if I let the rod go.
5. As I mentioned - undoing finished wraps done earlier due to banging into the wrapping jig.

One thing I thought of for slipping thread was to get it wet.
Has anyone every tried wrapping soaked thread?

I may just be getting to old to old for this hobby - bad eyes shaky hands, but I would appreciate any comments/advice specifically addressing the five points mentioned above. I'd hate to have to hire someone to finish the rod.

Reply to topic here http://www.rodbuildi...showtopic=32407