Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Norvise Review

Norvise Fly tying vise Fly tying vise Review

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tctrout

tctrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:56 AM

In my newest video, I completed a review of the Norvise System, focusing mainly on the standard vise and fine jaws.  I know many on this forum tie on a variety of vises, thus would love to hear your thoughts on this one.  For those that do tie on a Norvise, let me know if I've hit the major points, and please feel free to add to the discussion.

Thanks!

TC

Thanks for viewing my website: http://www.troutandfeather.com

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here: 

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

#2 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

Ted Patlen sent me one many years ago.I still use it to this day!Good versatile system although I've never had any problems with the one-size-fits-all jaws.Great review!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret.

#3 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

My arm is hurting to bad to retype all of this...Sorry, I am not trying to be mean; PLEASE read page 3. Norvise might be my only chance.http://www.flytyingf...ic=83375&page=3

#4 Gary Dimbat

Gary Dimbat

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

the norvise vise is the mot innovative thing that has happened to fly tying in the last fifty years I have every attachment that is offered thank you Norm

#5 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

I actually had an Auto bobbin for years till i figured out it was from Norman. I think i have 5 now, and a couple i scrapped for parts.

I have read many things against the Nor-vise over the years...All i can figure is that the ones talking trash must be envious of any-one who has one???

#6 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

I have been using a Norvice for years!I'll never own anything else!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret.

#7 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:02 PM

Tim,
Why are you holding an empty mug?
Not surprised you get lots of questions about it.
Bimini15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, when it is real quiet on the water, I can almost hear the fish laughing...

#8 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

Many public speakers use their hands too much when talking.  Most of those who realize this, tend to use props to make their hands less ... mobile.

It's not the cup, it's the shear quantity of talking that usually makes me turn it off.

Barbed hooks rule!

I am not lazy.  I just truly enjoy doing nothing.

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

quondam fidelis

#9 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

I am Spanish, so, in my mind, if you are not moving your hands while you are talking, you must have some motor skills problem... :)
It is only because of the mug that I go back to the hands and realize that I should be seeing liquid spilling and splashing all over.

If I did not finish the video it was because it was too long to watch, on a topic that right now does not interest me too much.
Bimini15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, when it is real quiet on the water, I can almost hear the fish laughing...

#10 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:55 AM

You can use large head thumb-tacks to set your extra bobbins on...All it takes is something to wrap around to hold them. My thumb-tacks are on the side of my desk box.

#11 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

The mug dosn't bother me. It's a prop he wishes to use. When I would speak in front of a small group there was usually a table around. I would set on or at least lean on the table. Something I wished to do. I found it helped me to better connect with my audiance.

Senator Bob Dole was injured in WWII and his right arm and hand was paralyzed. He always had a pen in that hand. When he was asked about in an interview his response was, to paraphrase, I felt my hand should be doing something.

So Tim, keep the coffee mug, if people want something in it, spill out some confetti every now and then.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#12 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:30 PM

While the Nor-Vise is very good...Hell, actually excellent, i still wish i could afford to try out the J-vice line???

#13 tctrout

tctrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

Tim,
Why are you holding an empty mug?
Not surprised you get lots of questions about it.

The mug dosn't bother me. It's a prop he wishes to use. When I would speak in front of a small group there was usually a table around. I would set on or at least lean on the table. Something I wished to do. I found it helped me to better connect with my audiance.

Senator Bob Dole was injured in WWII and his right arm and hand was paralyzed. He always had a pen in that hand. When he was asked about in an interview his response was, to paraphrase, I felt my hand should be doing something.

So Tim, keep the coffee mug, if people want something in it, spill out some confetti every now and then.

Very comical!  Sorry to disappoint, but there is always coffee or water in the mug.  It's never filled to the top for obvious reasons (though in part I can blame my Italian heritage for my "talkative" hands!).  

Tim

#14 tctrout

tctrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

You can use large head thumb-tacks to set your extra bobbins on...All it takes is something to wrap around to hold them. My thumb-tacks are on the side of my desk box.

Great suggestion!  

BTW, I have yet to tie on the Jvice, but it's definitely on my short-list to try...

TC

#15 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

Now I am curious, Tim.
If you don't mind another question about the mug...
Do you really use it, as mentioned, to keep excessive hand motion down?
Bimini15

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Norvise, Fly tying vise, Fly tying vise Review