Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bob Jacklin: Muddler Minnow

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -George Carlin

"You must tie your fly & fish your fly so the trout can enjoy & appreciate it." ~James Leisenring

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

Cool.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hi Norm,

Watching that, I'd like to see what his size 10 yellow muddler looks like. I did a quick search, but didn't find too much. Thanks for posting that !

Regards,

Mark

#4 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

The yellow ones we used/tied for Maine had yellow deer or calves tail hair as the under wing. The rest of the fly was tied same as any other Muddler. Course that doesn't tell us how Bob ties his. Same size though (10) and they caught fish. It was kind of a late summer and fall thing. My stepson caught his first landlocked salmon on one of those up there in Sept of 1989. He caught his second one in a different river on the same trip with a Gray Ghost streamer ( funny how we can remember these things but get in my car and I'm not sure if I locked the door to the house or not, get out to check to find out I did !!).

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#5 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:23 PM

That was neat. The Long Beach Casting Club is where I learned to tie flies.(started about 1967-68)went there once a week for 4 years. Had in instructions from Ed Muller...that brought back memories.

They would have all the materials for sale pacakged up small, just enough to tie  a dozen of that weeks fly...you bought them and they would teach you a fly that night. They had quite a few instructors walking around. You tied one fly that night and your home work was to go home and tie a dozen and bring them back next week and they would be judge...1st 2nd 3rd with some prizes.

It was pretty cool.

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

i particularly the the informative history and explanation of the materials used to tie the fly, something these new video fly tyers dont do, dont know or just dont care about

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -George Carlin

"You must tie your fly & fish your fly so the trout can enjoy & appreciate it." ~James Leisenring

#7 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

I would venture that most do not know.
Most of the time I think people talk too much in videos.
But, in videos like this one, they can't talk enough.
It is from people like him, and many of you in the forum, that people like me learn.
A lot.
Bimini15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, when it is real quiet on the water, I can almost hear the fish laughing...

#8 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

i particularly the the informative history and explanation of the materials used to tie the fly, something these new video fly tyers dont do, dont know or just dont care about

Me too
I was taught to whipfinish like that and still do it that way today
That was the muddler I was taught also, exactly like that

#9 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

Nice video

#10 swampsinger

swampsinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

I would venture that most do not know.
Most of the time I think people talk too much in videos.
But, in videos like this one, they can't talk enough.
It is from people like him, and many of you in the forum, that people like me learn.
A lot.

Agreed, and for me this is the Internet fulfilling its promise.

#11 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:37 PM

Here's an older video I did, showing another way to tie in collar and head, maybe it may be of interest to someone