Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

You Tube is not what is not what it used to.

I use YouTube often to watch tying videos and, inevitably, other fishing and not fishing related stuff (I just learned how to cook an egg log!).

Recently I am starting to get annoyed with the amount of fluff I have observed. Lots of unremarkable content by YouTubers featuring other YouTubers, baseless reviews, and, most of all, teenage drama between channels, all of which, to me, seems orchestrated just to drive traffic.

Have you noticed the same, or have I just managed to get all of the crappy video suggestions?

I tend to only look at Davie mcphail on YouTube so tend to get less nonsense suggestions. Its a sign of the pathetic society we have created that all the crap exists out there. Just switch on a TV and cycle through the 50/100/500 channels and its all pathetic dross.

I can spend way too much time surfing through videos on YouTube. I would rather have too much crap (that I can easily click out of) than to have some sort of censorship.

Censorship of content ... already done for "inappropriate" content ... would be truly hideous if it "reduced the amount of useless content". Imagine what could be considered "useless. Censorship is a BAAAD thing.

Censorship by membership. Would you be willing, Bimini, to pay for the service ... to get only the type of videos you want to see? If so, do you think there would be as many of those videos, if every contributor/watcher had to pay?

The crappie videos are a small price to pay for the near infinity of videos that ARE worth a look.

Salty,

All kinds, not only crappy crappie videos... :)

Mike,

Not advocating for censorship of any kind. It is easy enough to avoid the channels one does not like.

It is more a comment along the the lines of Piker’s response. It is nothing but crap everywhere, marketed to teenagers. Just like movies these days.

What is an egg log? I got turned on to a Scotch egg a couple of years ago and damn! Goes great with good craft beer!

What is an egg log? I got turned on to a Scotch egg a couple of years ago and damn! Goes great with good craft beer!

Scotch eggs are lovely but you need to get good quality meat ones or they can be a bit gristly.

It is nothing but crap everywhere, marketed to teenagers. Just like movies these days.

Its the unfortunate proof Bimini that we're getting 'old'.

I agree! What I find remarkable are the parents encouraging their children to produce and post videos. Times are a changing when go out and ride a bike is going the way of top milk. Way to many expert iPhoners and go proers posting as if they are an expert on whatever subject they are youtubing on. Got to agree with Mike in that I would rather have to wade through the crap than not have any medium for the good videos.

i have numerous fly tying channels saved from reputable fly tyers, a few cooking channels, home repair etc channels

no teenage dramas, coffe cups, bullshit politics etc

set up channels youre interested in. nobody is forcing anybody to watch anything on youtube. dont like what you see dont watch youtube

And I will admit to one video that is too funny to pass over. You U.S guys may struggle with some of the dialect, she's from Sheffield in Northern England but Kays Good Cooking is something you have to expose yourself to in life, if only once. Christmas dinner and a full english breakfast are the two must watch.

https://youtu.be/0hqVddkHf7Y

Must add she's deadly serious. She used to run a road side cafe so its amazing the fleet of UK lorry drivers didnt all die of dysentery

Its the unfortunate proof Bimini that we're getting 'old'.

Darn...! That is what I was afraid of.

I am learning quickly that nothing ages you faster than having teenagers.

I agree! What I find remarkable are the parents encouraging their children to produce and post videos. Times are a changing when go out and ride a bike is going the way of top milk. Way to many expert iPhoners and go proers posting as if they are an expert on whatever subject they are youtubing on. Got to agree with Mike in that I would rather have to wade through the crap than not have any medium for the good videos.

In the age of social media, lots of people are making a living off their new found followings. I do not begrudge anyone for trying, but it annoys the heck out of me that the rest can’t tell shit from shinola.

You can still mine Youtube for whatever interests you. Just don't expect them, to deliver just what you want. Search rigorously and reject the crap they try to dump on you.

There is some quality fare that you will not find anywhere else.

Aside from fly fishing stuff including some very good videos made abroad, I am an addict for historical documentaries; foreign-language classic movies -- US made flics are not generally available due to copyrights; 40s and 50s music; and commentaries on current affairs by experts otherwise totally ignored by the MSM.

Youtube now does ignore my wants and sends more absolute crap my way than in the past but one click and it is gone.

Rocco

And I will admit to one video that is too funny to pass over. You U.S guys may struggle with some of the dialect, she's from Sheffield in Northern England but Kays Good Cooking is something you have to expose yourself to in life, if only once. Christmas dinner and a full english breakfast are the two must watch.

https://youtu.be/0hqVddkHf7Y

Must add she's deadly serious. She used to run a road side cafe so its amazing the fleet of UK lorry drivers didn't all die of dysentery a myocardial infarct.

(a must do fix-it for ya, Piker)

I gained 2 stone watching the video plus chest pains to boot.

Is there not a smoke alarm going off in the background?

Have not a clue as to why ☺