Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewP

More top-water ties ...

A while back I posted here ( http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=78965 ) about playing around with popper designs. I've been back at it again, and have some additional ties and observations ....

The first couple of designs like before are based on foam heads and articulation. I've got two patterns now, one based on the ol' "Chug Bug" design, and the other on the classic "Zara Spook".

The Chug:

articulatedpopper2_zpsjkzcrbsi.jpg

And the Spook:

articulatedpopper1_zps6hwz7v1a.jpg

This was a baby version; I have a slightly larger version as well. This "spook" pattern actually does a fairly decent walk-the-dog on retrieve, without any rod manipulation. Per a suggestion from Kirk D. on this forum, I have omitted any feathers or fluff at the tail in order to get better wiggle action.

Next, a floater/diver with a flat nose that will act like a big lip and generate lots of wiggle:

wigglebug1_zpsaltwlzgs.jpg

This pattern has a hidden surprise ..... a rattle!

wigglebug2_zpsk69zlo85.jpg

The rattle supplies both sound and weight, helping to orient the fly properly. Notice how the articulation shank is a bit on the high side -- so the weight was needed to get the fly to ride correctly.

The last tie is one we all know -- the Gurgler. The difference here is that I wanted to make it weedless. I saw somewhere else where someone cut a slot in foam to let a hook pass through. Combining that with a bass-style hook, I tied this up .....

weedlessgurgler_zpsqqdx6585.jpg

I think the bass hook will help with the "gurgling" action of the fly. Of course I tied this in minnow colors, but I bet this would look good in green and maybe dressed up with some rubber legs and thrown out among some lillypadds.

If I get some time I will try to capture some video of these flies in the water so you can see what the action looks like ....

With all of the popper ties, I was just using standard foam popper heads of different sizes, some articulation shanks, and the proper hook (see below). I just used scissors to cut the heads to the shape I wanted ...

poppermaterials_zpscx25tyeq.jpg

AP

Look into getting a rechargeable Dremal tool. You can do wonders with them on foam. Look around for the bur bits that are round to do cupped faces and the small drill set to drill recessed eyes up to 1/4".

Guest rich mc

i likethe worm hook gurgler. your flies are similar to flies tied by looperflies.com richmc

nice ties, if you keep tying lots of foam patterns, making your own foam plugs will be alot cheaper, and you can get more creative with color choices.

Nice. I'm curious as to how your diver works. Tried something similar a few years back. It worked so-so in moving water and decently in still water if fished on an intermediate or sinking line.

Hey ap!

Check out the "Joom" heads... its a foam product of Rainy I think... I threw out the packaging.

I've done some divers using that head - both standard and articulated - that have worked out pretty well. The head is hollowed out... basically a quick and dirty (and durable) Dahlberg Diver. They might save ya some time with the Dremel?

Speaking as a production tyer... I wouldn't even touch a pattern that required hobby work with a Dremel... too time consuming. That might also be the reason I rarely do deerhair bugs. I'm quick enough with the single razor but the overall time required isn't anything I'd look forward to. Those Perfect Popper heads work quite well -particularly the soft variety. The only thing I struggle with is getting them in volume - even ordering by the hundred per size my wholesaler rarely has them in stock in bulk so I end up asking for them with every order...

Dang! You been busy!!! Amazing how just a little bit of fluff or single blade of grass will kill the action of a dog walking plug/bait/fly. Excellent work!!!